View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Lightbulb

Hello Dave, hello everyone.

First of all Dave, thank you for your work and for all the help you give !

I am replying to this thread because I am considering buying a new (even though second-hand) powerbook on which to clone my current 12".
I am more and more relying on my 12", both for work and for leisure, and even if cloning on external drives is essential, it's of no use if your computer gets stuck too long on repair.
So, I'm thinking of buying a new computer.
The new macbook pro is a great one, but obviously I don't think you could clone a macbook on a powerbook (or vice-versa).
I am therefore considering an "old" 15"powerbook.

1° First I thought I would clone one on the other : Target Mode and SuperDuper.
But you are right : it's better if the two computers are installed separately, and each have their own special version of the OS.

2° What's the use anyway of a "complete" clone : all the important stuff we need to back-up/clone/smart update, is on 2 folders : the User/Home folder, and the Applications folder.
Absolutely everything we need is there, am I wrong ?

So we only need to copy these two on the "back-up powerbook"

3° I imagine we could do it with SD, but you suggest Migration Assistant.
Indeed it works : I used it for importing from my previous computer.

It works fine ... the first time, because I'm guessing (I've never tried) that it doesn't smart-update the second time, and that it would copy everything all over again.
Am I right ?

4° So, if I wrap-up the strategy you are proposing :
first time Migration Assistant
next times SuperDuper, via Target Mode and Smart Update only of the needed folders (Apps and Home folders)

Did I understand you right ?

5° Final question : I guess that, with that way of doing, the two computers don't have much importance : it can be a powerbook to a mini, a powerbook to a iBook etc...
A "real clone" would have necessitate two "compatible"computer (12"on 12", ibook on ibook, etc....) but not here.
Am I right ?

Thanks for your always "lighting" answer

http://baragouine.net/