View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 AM

Question is the user guide current AND complete ?

hi dave

after replacing a failed hard drive and before doing a "recovering from a disaster" with s/d!...

i printed and reread the user guide dated 2003-2006...

there are less than 2 pages (ok 3 if u count the fluff) on the recovering from a disaster process...

however while actually DOING the recover/restore i found several options NOT covered in the user guide...

basically at the restore/copy now screens in s/d! there are 3 or 4? drop down menus...

each with 3-6 options...

these are not exactly straight forward for the NOVICE, for example ...

1. should the repair permissions box be checked or not on the source drive?

-i really didn't wanna alter my last clone even to repair permissions, since the clone seems to work PERFECTLY as i use it...

2. smart update or erase and re-write?

-on a new drive there really isn't anything to erase, but smart update is implied to be the 'faster' approach...

-and in fact, since my first attempt at recovering FAILED with s/d!, i did use timemachine which worked pretty darn well.

-had i known that s/d! would erase this t/m stuff as part of the "recover from a disaster" process,

-i would not have rebooted the drive from the install disc and erase/formatted/repaired it again with disc utility.

3. make bootable? again think novice. i know what this means but wondered WHY the option even existed to do/not do this.

4. do nothing? shut down? restart? and so on...

-a page in the user guide explaining what each of the 5 or 6 choices will do EXACTLY...

-would be in keeping wiht the matter of fact/clear and well explained nature of superduper!

so is there any plans to UPDATE the user guide to include MORE info on the MOST CRITICAL feature of s/d!

namely "recovery from a disaster"????

thanks again for great software.

joemac

Last edited by joemac; 08-09-2008 at 04:12 AM.