View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Smart Update/sync a single folder?

I am a paid user of SuperDuper! which I use to back up my laptop's main partition to an identically-sized partition on an external hard drive. That is all fine so far as I know (I haven't had a disaster that required using the back up yet!)

My question relates to the other partition on my laptop. It is where I keep some larger folders, such as my folder of camera photos, currently around 7.6gb. This therefore doesn't get included in my regular Smart Update.

What I would like to do is to back up this folder to another partition on my external drive (just a regular one where I move other large files such as movies, and have some other things like old game saves manually backed up) and be able to Smart Update it so just new photos/image files get copied there.

Is it possible - and practical - do this with SuperDuper! and if not, does anyone have any recommendations for more appropriate software? I'm happy to pay. I also run Time Machine on another partition, but it doesn't really do what I want. Apple's Back Up, which I don't use at present, makes kind of weird .dmg annoying incremental back ups, whereas what I want is an identical version of the photos folder on an external drive, that quickly and easily updates. Just that folder, nothing else.

Help/advice/information greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.