View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well, not quite.

Yes, you can partition your backup drive however you'd like, and name them whatever you'd like. Note that the entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".Step 2 is fine. To update that backup, you'll use "Smart Update", not "Erase, then copy".
Step 3 should be "Backup - all files", not "Backup - user files". "Backup - user files" backs up your Home folders (the "Users" directory). As above, subsequent updates would likely be with Smart Update.
Dave, ok I think I'm almost there. Thanks for your patience!

Step #1
I will partition a 1 TB Hard Drive into 2 separate partitions. 1/2 for the mac OS and 1/2 for my work so 500 GB each. The entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I will give both partitions separate names like: "Mac OS" for one partition and "ARTWORK" for the other partition.

When you said "well not quite" at the top of your post, did you mean Step #1 was not right? Can you please tell if Step #1 is right now?

Step #2
Now I will open Super Duper and Clone my mac Hard Drive to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "Mac OS" using: "Backup ? all files" so it can be Bootable if need be. I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

I changed Step #2 (above) can you please tell me if this is now right?

Step #3
Now using Super Duper I would select my LaCie External Hard Drive and Clone it to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "ARTWORK" using: "Backup ? all files". I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

I changed Step #3 (above) can you please tell me if this is now right?

About Step #3. I didn't think my "Artwork" needed to be bootable so that's why I initially chose (Backup - User Files) but I reread the manual and changed it to "Backup ? all files" like you recommended!
________
NEXIUM SETTLEMENTS

Last edited by Paint Guy; 09-18-2011 at 02:44 PM.