View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Villaman,

On the forum for the "other" app, you would be berated by the hosts quite thoroughly for even suggesting what you did here. That's not right, and it hopefully won't happen here (surely not by the hosts, but perhaps other users).

I think it is fair to ask when was the last time Apple sent you a notice about a problem? Not to dismiss your suggestions, just to point out it is pretty standard practice to not send out notices (probably to avoid the sue happy lawyers and their class action law suits). Besides, can you imagine the onslaught of inquiries they'd have to deal with; talk about whacking yourself up beside the head.

That said, I think it is indeed a good idea, when upgrading your OS, even with a minor upgrade, to wait and to check with all the developers of all your mission critical apps before upgrading. I did tech support in a Mac office and we always did extensive testing before upgrading anything. If you simply wait a week or so, and then check with the developer's website, you should be in good shape. There are always some (of us) fools willing to be on the bleeding edge. Either way, it is safe to assume there might be problems, so checking first is always a good idea. The developers don't always get the upgrades before we do so in some cases they couldn't send out advance notices.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't make the your comments on the CCC forums (besides, just because they say they are Leopard ready, doesn't mean they really are). In the mean time, while we all wait, either Disk Utility, and/or time machine should keep your data safe, even if it is a bit of a slower solution for now.

db