View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
If it's clicking, it's failing... we don't interact with it at a hardware level at all.
In my case, the use of clicking referred to heavy hard drive activity (and perhaps thermal re-calibration because of the hotness of the drive), rather than the 'click of death' which I have experienced with a number of failed hard drives.

Unfortunately the 'slow clone' I observed (2 MB/sec), prior to putting the clone drive into Spotlight's privacy pane, could not be booted from and both Diskwarrior (3.03) and Apple's Disk Utility failed to repair it.

After letting the target drive cool, I repeated the cloning process, but this time adding the target firewire drive (the one being used to hold the clone) to Spotlight's privacy pane before launching SuperDuper. The cloning process completed very successfully (66 GB cloned in 131 minutes), with the target hard drive running much quieter and cooler during the cloning period. I was able to boot and use the iMac from the cloned hard drive (noting that until Spotlight indexing completed on the first boot from the drive, the OS was somewhat slow to respond).

For the developer - does the reference in SuperDuper's dialog box to changes in Spotlight's state prior to cloning and at completion imply that SuperDuper should itself suppress Spotlight indexing of the new hard drive until the cloning process was completed?