View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Scheduled back up app shutdown?

Hi There,

Brand new SuperDuper user and totally stoked to finally have a decent backup solution for my MacBook Pro. I have a question that i'm sure has been asked before but I'm not really sure what to search for on the forum to find my answer, so apologies in advance.

I'm using a 15" Unibody MacBook Pro (not one of the newest ones, sigh) that I cart too and from work every day. My current plan is to keep a 320gb drive at work to backup too, then at a later another drive at home. So that I have an off site backup at all times. Since this is a Laptop, I cannot guarantee that I will be at my desk with the drive plugged in at the same time every week/day/whatever so I don't think the scheduled backup option will work for me.

In reading the Super Duper documentation you suggest that I quit all active apps before for I start a back up, so my first question is, how essential is it that I do that?

Secondly, If it is essential to do that, is there a way for me to quit all my active apps, run the back up, and relaunch them when its done. That way I can run a backup quickly when I go away from my desk for 20 minutes say for lunch, but come back to having my apps open.

Looking forward to your replies

UDP