View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to KevinBBG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...
I for one, certainly want to wait for it to be right, I've depended on SuperDuper! for a couple of years now and intend to for quite some.

We can use it now to back up Tiger then install Leopard and have our safety net. I did this very thing when I upgraded to Tiger, ran into some problems but was on deadlines and could not take the time to figure it out. So I booted on my Panther clone and kept working for a few days until I could get back to deal with Tiger.

With Time Machine you are supposed to be able to limit what you back up. I intend to still make Leopard clones with SD! like I always have and have Time Machine back up only my files. It makes sense to have a weeks worth of changes on a file and to be able to go back and restore from any point in that week. But there is no need to do that for the system. This should keep Time Machine nice and trim so it doesn't take too long or use up too much disk space.

Apple really put in Time Machine because the majority of Mac users do not back up at all so they wanted to make it easy and painless. But for those of us who do back up TM would just be one more resource to increase our depth of safety.

Kevin
http://dailybbg.blogspot.com/