View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 PM

SD notification on machine w/o Apple Mail

Here's the situation:

I run SD on 2 machines (PowerMac and MacMini). On the mini I do not run Apple Mail. (It is a media server and I want it as lean and simplified as possible). However, I do want to be informed when a backup succeeds and/or fails on both machines.

So I set up Growl on the desktop, configured SD with MailMe and now I get an email notification for each scheduled copy. All is well on that end.

Now I want the same thing on the mini, but Growl won't work since it (apparently) needs Apple Mail. I looked at the "Copy Job Script.template" as was suggested in another thread, but I am not running smtp on the mini, so I don't think I can get a mail message sent from there.

(As an aside, I could find no documentation on how to get the modified "Copy Job Script.template" to be run by SuperDuper!. Do I just edit it and save it back to where it was?)

I seems crazy to me to have to run all this software just to get notification that SuperDuper! has or has not done its job. There must be an easier way that I am missing?

Thanks,
Martin