View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Sorry you're upset, Mick. As I said in my emailed reply, we've tried really hard to warn you all over the UI that it does this.

Even apart from the User's Guide, which explains this on page 7 (not p42), it says so in the Options panel, it says so in the "What's going to happen?" section of the UI, and then it warns again when you click "Copy Now". It never, ever says it's going to preserve anything -- in fact, as you can see above, it explicitly says it's "Just like Erase, then copy". So, if your drive has been erased, and then the data has been copied, there's no way it could preserve anything.

Unfortunately, the problem here is often that people assume what it's going to do, rather than actually paying attention to what it explicitly says. That's unfortunate, but it's hard to break through assumptions -- no matter how many times we've tried to warn... and we do try, very hard.

Given the small number of people who make mistakes, I'm not sure that's a "FAIL". But, I hate hearing when it happens to anyone, and we're always looking for ways to improve. I'm not sure what wording would have been clear to you at the time it was presented, rather than now, in hindsight... and it's impossible to get your mind back to the point where you made the decision, without knowing what you know now...