View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Barry

I have a new Mac Mini (four months old) which for a variety of reasons I won't be able to get to an Apple service center for a couple months (which is OK, as I have warranty 'til December.)

Anyway, from day one I have had troubles -- big troubles -- with the Firewire intermittently dropping. This is occurring with a new OWC two drive external which is also (unfortunately) brand new, which makes troubleshooting a problem. Except I have an older OWC twin drive external as well, which has been flawless with my desktop Mac Pro. And the Mini drops it too. Thus I blame the Mini, not the external cases and drives.

Bottom line, on Apple's support forums, this is not an unknown issue. Some have attributed it to various system upgrades (mostly 6.1 and 6.2) but I don't think that's my problem. Others focus on the Mac Mini (and others on some newer MacBooks which apparently can have issues as well.)

Only difference from your situation is that only once when this happened during a SD backup did I get the folder situation Dave describes (which, fortunately, I was familiar with.) Other times (and there have been a number) SD just stalls.

So, have you had any other indications (non-SD) of Firewire flakiness? If not, then probably your problem is totally different from mine. But if you have, that could be it. I take it you have been using the SAME Mini and IOmega for the last year or so. Did you by chance do an OS upgrade at about the same time the trouble started?