View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM

Scheduling wakeup and sequential backups to different targets

Hi Dave,

SuperDuper currently does a daily backup for me as follows:

1) I scheduled my iMac (in System Preferences) to wake from sleep in the wee hours of the morning.

2) About a minute later, SD is set to back-up all files on the internal drive volume using smart update. It backs-up to a volume on an external FW drive. It is a bootable backup.

3) Upon completion of the backup, I've configured SD to quit.

4) After a bit more time, the iMac goes back to sleep

All of the above works like a charm.

Now, onto my question ....

With growing storage needs, I've added a second external FW hard drive (in addition to the external drive I mentioned above).

I will continue to use the internal iMac drive for system, applications and data. I still have a bootable backup scheduled for it as I described above.

But in the new arrangement, a 3rd volume will house additional applications and data, and a 4th volume will be the backup for that 3rd volume. These two do not need to be bootable.

I would like it to now work like this:

1) Wake-up iMac (as it does now)

2) Backup internal volume to its bootable backup volume (as it does now)

3) Progress directly to backing up volume 3 contents to volume 4. This is the new piece that I need help with.

4) Sleep the Mac (as it does now).

In the iMac preferences, I can only schedule the Mac to wake once a night. So, I would like to configure SD to complete its normal nightly backup of the internal volume to volume 2. Then I would like it to continue directly to backing up volume 3 to volume 4.

Can you help? Thanks Dave.