View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM

I think I might know what is going on here. I have seen it in my home and I researched it and found anecdotal reports of similar things from others on various Macintosh forums. Here's what sometimes happens:

* File sharing is set up properly on a Mac running 10.3.9
* Other Macs running 10.4.x on the network may not be able to "see" a secondary (i.e. not the boot drive) drive on the 10.3.9 computer even though file sharing is set up properly.

Here is what was recommended on the forums that I read, and I followed this and it worked for me:

* On the 10.3.9 Mac whose files you want to share from its secondary disk, open System Preferences, select Sharing, then *turn off* File Sharing. Then close System Preferences. Then open System Preferences again, select Sharing, and enable File Sharing. Then exit System Preferences.

When I have done this, then the secondary disk is now suddenly "visible" on the 10.3.9 Mac and usable from the other Macs on the network (which happen now to be running 10.4.9, but this also happened with earlier versions of 10.4.x).

Due to a bug in the 10.3.9 OS, after some period of time the secondary disk may become not visible to these other Macs even though Sharing has been on. I have never figured out what causes this, but I suspect it might be caused when the 10.3.9 Mac is rebooted and somehow the sequence of things doesn't work right (due to that bug I mentioned). It shouldn't happen but it sometimes does with 10.3.9. I don't think this happens when Sharing is enabled on a 10.4.x computer.

Another thing I have read about is that some secondary disks don't show up in some circumstances unless the remote user is logged in as an administrator. Another thing to watch out for is if user B is logged in locally on the 10.3.9 machine as an administrator and ownership has been "ignored" on the secondary disk, then the system acts like user B "owns" and "takes over" that entire secondary disk and when user A logs in from a remote computer, even if A is an administrator, A might not be able to see or access that secondary disk.

To see if any of this is affecting you, try the following:

Do the toggle thing as described above to disable Sharing on the 10.3.9 computer and then re-enable it. Then log out all local users on the 10.3.9 computer but leave it on. See if you can see and use the secondary drive from your 10.4.9 Mac.