View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Suggestion for Leopard early adopters

I have been an early adopter of new system software and various applications on both Windows and Mac machines. Frequently, you exchange the thrill and optimistic hope of something new for the hassle of being on the bleeding edge. This time around, my need for reliable computer services exceeded my curiosity. System 10.4.11 is working just fine and I am able to meet my obligations at work without delay. SD! is working flawlessly at night while I sleep.

My suggestion is: If you need reliable function, wait for at least 10.5.2 or higher. That's when you can expect the worst of the bleeding edge to be over. I subscribe to MacFixit and, judging from the tales of woe that they handle, 10.5.1 isn't ready for prime time in shops that depend upon reliable systems and applications for their livelihood. Personally, I'm waiting until Adobe makes their adjustments to 10.5.x and the reviews of those adjustments indicate that those adjustments are working well. That may go well into the new year.

Finally, I suggest that you lighten up on hassling Dave Nanian about the new version of SD!. He had no access to advance copies. Adobe isn't promising Leopard compatibility for Creative Suite 3 Design Standard and Acrobat until late January. Are you bugging Adobe? Dave is the most accessible, honest developer I've ever encountered. Don't drive him into a shell with criticism.

If you can't wait until he gets it right, join me in using 10.4.11. It's the most stable unix-Mac I've ever used. If you want the adventure of early adoption, have the sense to take your lumps. You took the risk. Live with it or go back to where it's safe and stable.