View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 03:06 PM

Hi Dave,

sorry, i know i included a lot of info. let me try to ask the question again the simplest way i can think of.
my question from your earlier post was the following:

how do you advise using SD to transfer contents from 1 drive to another, when attempting to restore (instead of the backup process)?

--
what i've done since friday...
after my last post, i booted the computer with the new SSD into target disk mode and connected to my older computer (with the data/OS i wanted to transfer) via firewire cable. both MBPros on MacOS 10.14.6, APFS SSDs. i used SD "restore - all files" from the older computer to the mounted SSD. SD process seemed to run ok, but it finished with an error. i read the SD error log and sent it to ShirtPocket via the button in the error log friday afternoon.

so i guess my approach to transfer the contents between the 2 SSDs was not the right way to do it...

saturday, i tried booting the computer with the new SSD and it seemed to start ok. but i don't know what didn't finish right in the transfer. so i'm a bit nervous about using the computer with the new SSD until i know what i need to fix.

i figure it is probably simplest to finish the discussion about the specifics of the error via the email that has the error log specifics, instead of copying the error log into the forum...

thanks so much for your help!
jeffery