View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's more difficult than you might think, actually. But thank for the suggestion!
I think that despite what Time Machine has to offer in Leopard, the Clone (and later smart update) ability of SD! is still very much needed. It doesn't matter how many time machine drives you've got. If your OS fails to boot or you need to "sand box" an update, only software like SD! will save you in a shorter period of time (no pun intended).

Despite that, my biggest gripe with SD! is that whereas is excels at being "backup for mere mortals", it should include a few more options on top of that. One of those is the ability to re-run any scheduled backup "now", because of the nature of SD! and the lack of a real daemon capable of backing up when you are not logged, you will encounter failed jobs if you forget to log in or for some reason you box is locked.

This adds a layer of "complexity" on top of the very simple SD! operation, the "normal user" has no idea about this and may wonder why all his/her jobs are failing every day when he wakes up his/her box.

I still insist that SD! is faster and more efficient than CCC -even in its newest version-. I've tried 'em and I sticked with SD! so far.

I hope that Dave and his team are secretely working on a SD! update that will leave our mouths open.

I feel like this SD!/CCC/Etc. vs Time Machine issue is not an issue at all. Both technologies have a purpose on different situations. This is like Quicksilver Vs. Spotlight.

I guess that only time will tell

In the mean time, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Martín.