Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well, a copy script doesn't point to the destination location: if you moved the image, you'd need to update the schedule to update the destination pop-up.

There are definitely situations where OSX doesn't 'tell us' when a mount point fails, and it's converted from a mount point to a folder. Since, internally, it always 'looks' like a folder, we don't catch it.

We could re-'stat' ever file copied to make sure that its device is what it's supposed to be. This would slow copying down, not insignificantly. But it's something we're looking at, since while this is a rare situation, it's quite annoying...
My apologies, bad terminology. I updated the backup settings document, not the copy script (those two always confuse me - but I also can't come up with anything better). I did not touch the schedule, thinking that all a schedule does is run a set of saved settings at a given time. I guess this is not the case.

Yes, checking the mountpoint (restating) for each file was about all I could come up with - and I knew that would be a performance no-no. Perhaps a middle ground - check it for every GB copied or at the end of a backup?

I figure there are two problems to address:
  • Early detection, to hopefully avoid filling the root partition unexpectedly, or even remount and continue
  • Cleanup, so if a problem occurs SD can delete the files off the root volume
Checking occasionally along the way might give some early warning without too much of a performance hit, but I imagine it would be difficult to gauge when to do so given massively different disk layouts (lots of small files, few large files, mixed, etc). Checking at the end of a backup might not be a bad idea though, as it would allow some cleanup to be done and alert the user (or retry the backup, depending on what makes sense).

Certainly this isn't something you should have to face - if OS X tells you a volume is mounted, it shouldn't just vanish mid-copy - but I know I'd appreciate it if you could. Now I know what to look for, but it can be very hard to track down the first time if happens.