Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 AM

Lightbulb Backing up 2 drives to 1 drive

Would be grateful for your advice on the following.

My current (relevant) setup is as follows:

- 1 external drive with 2 x 500GB harddrive in RAID1 setup. This drive currently stores all my photos and nothing else. Out of the 500GB capacity only 250GB is in use.
- 2 internal drive with 2 x 640GB harddrive. One of them stores all my videos and nothing else. The other is used for SuperDuper! to back it up automatically at midnight. Out of the 640GB capacity only 340GB is in use.

Being a paranoid, I bought a WD Mybook Studio 1TB today, thinking that I could use it to get SuperDuper to backup both drives on it (as there are just about 600GB of files) and I will store this drive offsite and only bring it back for updating may be once or twice a month.

I thought its going to be quite straightforward but, not being a technical person, after playing around SuperDuper a bit, I am not really sure if this can be done. Reading some messages posted on this forum, it seems that it is not that straightforward? I read the User Manual and there is this section about: Storing a backup alongside other files on a destination drive. Should I do that? If yes, would the future updating backups be as quick as it currently does my internal 640GB drive?

Many thanks and your advice would be much appreciated!