Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Copying one external drive to another

Folks,

I am currently running 10.5.1 and patiently waiting for the update.
My backup scheme was my whole computer (Intel iMac) to bootable external. And then since my itunes is over 300Gb, I have that on a second external which I backed up to a third external since I never want to rip over 1000 CDs ever again!

Since upgrading to 10.5 I've added a number of CDs to iTunes and am getting itchy to get a backup of that drive. Since I don't need to have a bootable drive or anything - I just want an exact copy - each time I completely copy the whole drive, should v82 of SD still work OK in that capacity? I'm willing to try it as long as I can be assured it can't hurt the main iTunes drive.

Anyone tried something like this?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty View Post
Since I don't need to have a bootable drive or anything - I just want an exact copy - each time I completely copy the whole drive, should v82 of SD still work OK in that capacity? I'm willing to try it as long as I can be assured it can't hurt the main iTunes drive.
From what I've read on these forums and the Shirt Pocket blog, being unable to boot a SuperDuper! clone on Leopard is not its only issue. While it's possible that what you want to do would work just fine, it's also possible that it won't. Why risk it? Why wouldn't you just use Disk Utility instead? As you said, you want an exact copy and each time, you completely copy the whole drive, so obviously you're not concerned about being able to "smart update" it. In your shoes, I would rather entrust my data to Disk Utility than to an application that may or may not be completely reliable.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That's right: don't use us with leopard right now. It's not that it won't "copy the files", it's just that the metadata/ownership/etc might not be correct.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM

For data-only volumes or folders, why not use something like Chronosync?