Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Validated Hardware Option

I browsed around the website and didn't find an official Validated Hardware list. At any rate, I wanted to share my experiences this evening.

I purchased an Adaptec USB/Firewire Hard Drive Enclosure, Model #ACS-200 from Best Buy tonight for $71.99. I installed a 120GB Seagate HD that had been created using SuperDuper! in a non-bootable HD enclosure. After switching my startup disk to the new Adaptec enclosure, my 20" iMac booted from it without a hitch.

I initially purchased the Maxtor One-Touch 200GB external, only to get it home and discover that contrary to the information on the box it was the USB only unit. So I returned to Best Buy (luckily its just a couple of miles from home). My luck was running its normal course and the only Maxtor they had in stock with FW was the 300GB, which was double the $149 I paid for the 200GB unit. I was contemplating the purchase when I noticed the adaptec enclosure. So to cover my bases, I purchased both, but will be returning the 300GB One-Touchin the morning.

I was in crunch mode because its looking like I'm going to have to return my 20" iMac due to a problem with its AirPort card. I found this out after I'd spent 12 hours setting it up, installing software, migrating files, etc. Thank goodness for SuperDuper. I have cloned my HD, verified that I can boot to the image, so if they swap me out tomorrow, I can just come home, hook up my drive, boot the machine, select my external and reboot then copy my HD image back over to the new machine.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I haven't tested with this particular enclosure, wdatkinson, but it sounds like it's likely Oxford-based and likely good. Glad it's working for you!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:09 PM

I was really leaning toward the Maxtor as you specifically recommended that and I didn't have time to wait for mail order. Then I saw the Adaptec option and knowing their reputation, I figured I'd take a gamble.... It paid off, and saved me money in the process. Money that I will use to register my copy of SuperDuper!

Thanks for a wonderful product.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator

One of the reasons I haven't checked out the Adaptec is that it's a case, and thus requires both the case and drive to be purchased, plus assembly, etc. But, if you've got a drive, the $79 price or so is a good deal...
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Understandable. Just looking at prices at my local Best Buy:

Maxtor One Touch 300GB = $299.00

or

Adaptec Case = $71.99
300GB Western Digital HD = $159.99
Total= $231.99

And that's assuming that you wanted 300GB. I'm currently using a 120GB drive to back up my system. But can upgrade as time goes on.

Assembly took all of 5 minutes. The other case I had was ordered from an on-line (non-Mac) vendor. It was cheap and plastic and broke when I first assembled it. The Adaptec is aluminum once you remove two screws the back plate lifts off and then the tray slides out. Put the HD in the tray, attach the ribbon cable and power cable. Slide the tray back in, put the endcap back on and put your two screws back in. Viola....

I'm going to quit now, before I'm accused of owning stock in Adaptec!!!!

I was in a jam, your software could save me, but I needed the drive. This was a very cost effective solution by a reputable manufacturer that worked. So I just wanted to share.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Glad you did. Thanks.