Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Question Newbie question

I have one of the first generation Macbook (Intel Core Duo) and I'm "pimping it out". I have Leopard and may be going to Snow Leopard (we'll see). I'm upgrading the old 80GB hard drive to a 500GB hard drive. I get how to swap out my current hard drive to the new larger one and how to use SuperDuper to do it.

I have several questions though-
1.) For subsequent backups/cloning, how big of a backup drive would I need i.e. how big is the backup file? If I have a 500GB hard drive do I need a 500GB backup drive or can I use a smaller one (80GB or 180GB) or something like that? I will probably also use the backup drive with Time Machine as well (partitioned ofcourse).
2) What file format does the back up drive need to be in (OS Journaled or FAT32?)
3) Does it have to have Firewire or can a USB enclosure work? Is there any benefit to using Firewire?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
1. You need enough space for the data plus plenty of extra growing room. Time Machine needs a lot of space to be effective.

2. Mac OS Extended (Journaled); drive partitioned using the "GUID" partition scheme (see the FAQ).

3. FireWire is faster and more reliable. USB works too. Both are bootable with Intel Macs (but USB will not boot a Power PC mac).
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM

thanks for getting back. I still don't know how big of a external hard drive i should buy.

If my Macbook HD is 500GB, how big of a external hard drive would I need just for a SuperDuper backup.

I'll figure out how much I need for Time Machine later.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizcard View Post
thanks for getting back. I still don't know how big of a external hard drive i should buy.

If my Macbook HD is 500GB, how big of a external hard drive would I need just for a SuperDuper backup.
Like Dave said, you will “need enough space for the data plus plenty of extra growing room”.

Technically, if you are only using 40GB of your 500GB disk, you could back that up onto a 40GB disk. But if you ever start using more space, your backups will run out of disk space before they finish. Or if you are using Smart Update and there is not enough room to cover for your file "churn", then the backup will also run out of disk space (for safety, Smart Update copies new files to the backup drive before it deletes old files from the backup drive; so if there is lots of data churn—either many small files or just a few large files—Smart Update can still run out of disk space while copying 40GB of data onto a 40GB volume).

If you have very little churn, then you could try to get away with just 10% extra space for Smart Update's copy safety issue. If there is lots of churn, you may need as much as 100% extra space.

As I understand Time Machine, it will take as much disk space as you can give it. You'll need at least 100% of your data size, plus as much extra as you can afford for the extra files copies. Again, you can try to guess about this using the idea of "churn". If you are making changes to many files (or changes to large files), then you will probably want more disk space.

So for a drive that will hold a SuperDuper! backup plus Time Machine data, you might want to go with at least 310% (100% for the backup, 10% for Smart Update, 100% base to Time Machine, 100% for Time Machine extra file copies). If you have more "churn" you will want to increase both the Smart Update percentage and the Time Machine percentage.

For SuperDuper!, you should generally use a volume that is a bit larger than your data. For Time Machine, you will want to use the biggest disk you are willing to buy for the purpose (probably at least 200% of your data size).
Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 PM

that was brilliant. Thanks mate.