Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM

time machine backups?

Hi Dave,

You state 2 things.

1) The new version includes full Leopard support, including the ability to store a bootable backup side-by-side with a Time Machine backup on a single volume

2) ability to copy Time Machine archives to other drives for backup purposes or to move to a larger drive without losing history.

Could u explain how this is done? Didnt see anything in the manual or FAQ
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No tricks: just use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" in the first case, and either "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" in the 2nd.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 PM

But if you do Smart Update to your existing Time Machine drive, won't it delete the Time Machine files because they don't currently exist on the source drive?

mac-10
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM

I'm assuming SD is smart enough to recognize the TM folder and not get rid of it, but this means you'll need a disk large enough to hold both your SD backup and the whole TM history.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Not if you don't do "Erase, then copy". See the "What's going to happen?" section of the UI.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 PM

OK, with "Backup - all files" and "Smart Update Dest from Src" ,

the "What's going to happen" screen includes "Smart Update will copy an erase what's needed to make Dest identical to your selections from Src."

So, will it erase the existing "Backups.backupdb" directory and all its contents since it does not appear on Src?

Also, ACL's aren't mentioned anywhere in the User Guide.pdf. When do I want to turn on "Copy ACL's"?

mac-10
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 AM

I think dnanian is referring to the paragraph above that in the GUI where it says: "The Time Machine backups on TimeMachineData will be preserved." TimeMachineData being the name of my TM disk.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

tiborg is exactly right. ACLs are "Access Control Lists" and are a default part of Leopard. They should be on unless you have a good reason to turn them off.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiborg View Post
I think dnanian is referring to the paragraph above that in the GUI where it says: "The Time Machine backups on TimeMachineData will be preserved." TimeMachineData being the name of my TM disk.
Yeah, I figured it out. It was I wasn't sure on the 1st backup to that drive, and chose copy newer, and to make sure my TM backups didn't match anything newer (or older) I changed the name of the parent directory. So SD! didn't recognize it as a TM drive, so no message. (Paranoid and paid to be that way! Security Consultant... )

I deleted the backup, renamed the dir back and reran the backup and it reported correctly. I'm not sure "name matching" is a good long term strategy, but if that simply how CoreBackup services handles it and you hand to native OSX sevices, it may be all you have at your disposal without breaking a lot fo other things, like SD! being compatible with core restore services.

All in all, still loving it!

mac-10
Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Whatever you do, do NOT rename the "Backups.backupdb" file. It'll mess up all sorts of things, including Time Machine itself.

Name matching is all we have: it's how Time Machine works.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT rename the "Backups.backupdb" file. It'll mess up all sorts of things, including Time Machine itself.

Name matching is all we have: it's how Time Machine works.
I renamed it back when I was done (I've been doing this "kompewtor stuph" for a while, like since before BRIEF was bought by Borland ) and was afraid that name matching might be the only way...

mac-10
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM

ok, all this talk got me more confused. I just want to clone my 250 gb to my 1tb external, and use the 1tb for timemachine.

I did a copy of my TImemachine drive 250gb to my 1tb drive using smart update.

If this correct? How do i then tell Time machine to us this one for my new timemachine destination?

Do i need to take the 250GB out of timemachines config?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Just select that drive as the current Time Machine drive in the TM preference pane.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
No tricks: just use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" in the first case, and either "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" in the 2nd.
Hello Dave: Thank you for all your work on updating SD. I have been waiting for it with great anticipation. I would appreciate it if you could be more detailed in explaining exactly how SD integrates and works alongside TimeMachine. I know that it probably seems very simple but in my mind it appears very complicated. Could you elaborate on this topic in more detail? Thank you
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure I understand what's very complicated, lucy: could you ask a more directed question?