Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Trouble booting off cloned hard drive

thanks in advance for any help, and let me declare that i am not extremely proficient with my mac.

i cloned my hard drive (macbook, osx 10.4.11) to an external hard drive (300 gb WD "My Book", formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". i just now received my mac back from the apple store wiped clean and i wanted to restore my internal HD from my cloned copy on the external HD.

it seems that the clone did not occur properly because i can not boot off of it. i've looked for it under system preferneces/system/startup disk and the external HD/clone does not show up on the list.

i have also restarted my computer holding the option key, which shows an icon of my external HD (along w/ the internal, and a "windows" icon); but when i choose the external HD, as the computer restarts, in the grey screen with an apple icon, a circle with a diagonal cross through it flashes, and then the computer proceeds to boot off of the internal HD.

so, it seems my clone is not bootable... any thoughts on how to make it so?

i will try just copying over my home folder next, but there are 3rd party apps, etc. that i think i would need from a clone.

thanks for any help, and sorry about my verbosity.

d