Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 AM

Problem with My Book essential and mac os 10.5

I have had my book book 500GB essential for about 18 months. I used to have a macbook with mac os x 10.4 and it worked fine with Superduper.

However, I recently upgraded to a brand new macbook, running 10.5.

The drive worked fine when I was transferring files from the 10.4 machine to the 10.5 machine using the drive (e.g. when the drive was formatted on the 10.4 machine).

However, when I then re-formatted the drive using the 10.5 machine, problems started.

Basically, whenever I try to format the drive it immediately gives trouble. Even if I format the drive and then immediately select 'verify disk' from mac disk utility it gives errors of the form:

Aug 23 18:57:52 als-macbook Disk Utility[2483]: Volume Bit Map needs minor repair^[
Aug 23 18:57:52 als-macbook Disk Utility[2483]: Checking volume information.
Aug 23 18:57:52 als-macbook Disk Utility[2483]: The volume Untitled 1 needs to be repaired.
Aug 23 18:57:52 als-macbook Disk Utility[2483]: Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

And the drive unmounts. If I plug it back in and continue to use it, it eventually stops mounting, or mounts in read only mode with a warning "this drive has been made available in read only mode, you should get your files off and reformat" issues from mac os x.

When you plug it in and get the automatic error, the following appears in the system log:

Aug 23 18:55:05 als-macbook kernel[0]: hfs_swap_HFSPlusBTInternalNode: catalog key #40 invalid length (43046)
Aug 23 18:55:05 als-macbook kernel[0]: node=1 fileID=4 volume=Untitled 1 device=/dev/disk1s3
Aug 23 18:55:05 als-macbook kernel[0]:
Aug 23 18:55:05 als-macbook kernel[0]: HFS: Runtime corruption detected on Untitled 1, fsck will be forced on next mount.

So its a HFS+ corruption issue. However the drive never appears to be in a non-corrupted state.

I am aware of the standard re-partitioning procedure. I have tried many times. Other things I have tried:

* Enabling GUID partition maps
* Enabling Apple partition maps
* Disabling journalling
* Deep format by zeroing the drive

None of these things worked.

I would suspect a hardware issue if none of this worked, but its just the fact that it worked find until I started using 10.5.

Is there a incompatibility with this drive and 10.5?