Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Question about an icon workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGG View Post
I may be missing something here, but is there a reason why the user should be bothered with maintaining a "Volume Icons" folder? Wouldn't it be better to use a "before copy" script that saves the icon in /tmp, and an "after copy" script that restores it later?

# Save volume icon
if [ -e "$4/.VolumeIcon.icns" ]; then
cp "$4/.VolumeIcon.icns" "/tmp/$3.VolumeIcon.icns"
fi

# Restore volume icon
if [ -e "/tmp/$3.VolumeIcon.icns" ]; then
cp "/tmp/$3.VolumeIcon.icns" "$4/.VolumeIcon.icns"
if [ -e /Developer/Tools/SetFile ]; then
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a C "$4" # Set "custom icon" flag for volume
fi
rm -f "/tmp/$3.VolumeIcon.icns"
fi

Actually, is there a reason SuperDuper doesn't have an option to do this automatically?
Playing with scripts/programming is outside my field of expertise, but I really want my custom drive icons to stay the way I have them, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer my questions about DavidGG's script. I too would like to avoid maintaining a "Volume Icons" folder, but am a little sketchy on how to implement DavidGG's workaround.

1) I feel quite ignorant asking, but... if I copy this script off the forum page, what do I do with it? Paste & save in TextEdit or? Do I have to save it in a particular location?

2) Do the custom drive icons have to have been changed in any particular way in the first place in order for this script to do its job? I've simply done the quick copy-paste of the icon image in the Get Info window, didn't use CandyBar or anything.

3) Where it says "$3" and "$4", do I need to change that to match the actual names of my particular volumes? And if so, which one refers to the Target and which one refers to the Source?

Thank you for any guidance you can give!

As other users have stated, I too would appreciate future updates to SuperDuper! to include the option of maintaining custom drive icons. As simple as the little things are to change in the first place, I really don't like having to tinker with programming in order to put them back the way I had them before running a SuperDuper SmartUpdate. I'd prefer to leave the programming to the SuperDuper programmers, so they can implement a clean and elegant solution to the icon issue, just as they've created such a clean and elegant backup solution!