Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Before I get Started...

I am new to SuperDuper! and relatively new to the Mac world. I have just bought a Western Digital Scorpio 250GB Hard Drive to upgrade my MacBook Pro with. I am even as I write this erasing the disk, and writing zeros to the whole thing in preparation for making it a bootable clone.

My MacBook is set up with Bootcamp, and Parallels, so I have a Windows Partition on the drive too. What is the procedure? Copy each image over to the new drive separately? Is it that easy? Things usually aren't...

Regards and thanks for your illumination,

wave_man
Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We don't actually copy BootCamp (Windows) volumes, wave_man. But there was a recent article about this here that might help.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Thank you for the terrific link. I think I have a plan...
1. I am still not done "writing zeroes" yet. When that is done,
2. subpartition the drive three ways, with the unix command from the hackszine link or with the disk utility front end...
3. use SD! to copy my Mac partition over to Macintosh HD
4. use WinClone to copy my BootCamp partition over
5. do the mechanical procedure of swapping the drives. GAAHHH!!
6. boot it up flawlessly.

Wish me luck,

wave_man
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_man View Post
4. use WinClone to copy my BootCamp partition over
That sounds right.

But, it raises a question of what an OS X EDIT > COPY does after you SELECT ALL the contents of a Drive and the Paste it into a folder on another disk. (You can COPY FROM an NTSF drive.)

Does an OS X COPY move absolutely everything except the Boot portion? I'm thinking of the hidden files that applications are found of hiding on a disk. And the dot files.

Is there any difference between copying an NTSF disk or an OS X disk?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-v-c View Post
That sounds right.

But, it raises a question of what an OS X EDIT > COPY does after you SELECT ALL the contents of a Drive and the Paste it into a folder on another disk. (You can COPY FROM an NTSF drive.)

Does an OS X COPY move absolutely everything except the Boot portion? I'm thinking of the hidden files that applications are found of hiding on a disk. And the dot files.

Is there any difference between copying an NTSF disk or an OS X disk?
Hmmm... I don't know that! AAAAHHHHGG....(engineer flies off the bridge of doom into the abyss)

The procedure worked, nearly flawlessly I say, nearly because now on bootup when I would normally see just the largish apple icon on the light grey or sky-blue screen for a few seconds, I now see a file folder with a question mark for half a second and then the apple. Otherwise, no issues. I am guessing an update of the firmware settings is needed, but am in no hurry to monkey around mindlessly at this point. Any clues?

wave_man

aka John Fisher aka JF
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That just means that your default disk isn't selected. Choose it in the Startup Disk Preference Pane.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_man View Post
The procedure worked, nearly flawlessly I say, nearly because now on bootup when I would normally see just the largish apple icon on the light grey or sky-blue screen for a few seconds, I now see a file folder with a question mark for half a second and then the apple.
I'm still concerned about what COPY and PASTE actually copy. Can someone confirm they move EVERYTHING?

----------

Before you PASTED the contents back -- where did you create a New Disk and how did you format it to NTFS. I suspect you may have only created a Mac disk.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM

I don't know much, but will ramble..
I can tell you that they make it pretty simple to just "copy everything" the first time around to your secondary drive, however, it would take more research to know how to do different kinds of backups.
I say you should go ahead and do a backup then worry later about what kinds of backups you prefer, etc. If you are using different partitions on each drive then i suppose things could trickier... i currently have a blank MS partition I created on my first harddrive with Bootcamp.. i no longer need it, and i have no idea how to safely get rid of it!! having a backup makes things easier though..