Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Auto shut down times out

On scheduled backups, SD should shutdown and turn off Mac, but I get a message like "SD failed to close, shutdown timed out". Anyone know how to correct this. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Does this always happen? I've had a few similar reports, but nothing I can reproduce at this end.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Happens everyday. This is the exact message "logout has timed out because the application Super Duper failed to quit". Thanks for any help.

TSL
Old 08-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

OK. It seems to work here, not sure what the difference might be. But I'm looking at it. Might want to put the Mac to sleep instead.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 AM

I have the very same problem, but with manually started backups.

The problem started for me after upgrading the OS from 9.4.11 to 9.5.3. I have used SD for four years on different successive machines and OSX versions and never had the problem before.

I always do a manually started backup (smart update) at the end of the day of all files on my internal HD, always to the same external FireWire disk, always with the same settings, among which the option to shut down the computer after the backup completes. Sometimes the shutdown occurs as expected, but most of the times the message "Logout has timed out because the application SuperDuper! failed to quit" appears after a while.

I have not been able to figure out if there are specific different circumstances when the shutdown occurs and when in doesn't. However, I noticed that when the shutdown does occur, it takes an unusual long time (much longer than I was used to in previous OS versions) before SD is quit and the machine is shutdown.

If the shutdown does not occur, I can easily quit SD in any way (closing the window, using the application menu, using command-Q) and subsequently shutdown manually. (While writing this, I realized that I did not try a manual shutdown while SD is still running, should try that also.)

Interestingly, when I use the option 'Quit SuperDuper!' instead of 'Shut Down Computer' there is no such problem and SD quits soon after the backup completes.

Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
Mac OS X 10.5.3
SuperDuper! 2.5
(Time Machine Off)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

We've had a few reports of this and I'm still trying to reproduce it in house...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldPR View Post
If the shutdown does not occur, I can easily quit SD in any way (closing the window, using the application menu, using command-Q) and subsequently shutdown manually. (While writing this, I realized that I did not try a manual shutdown while SD is still running, should try that also.)
I did later. After the message appeared that logout timed out because SD could not be quit, I dismissed the message and tried shutdown by pressing control-eject followed by return. Again the logout timed out.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Auto shut down does not occur

Hi there.

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.2, very standard installation. I set SD up to back up (using the Smart option) late at night and then to shut the computer down. That doesn't happen, although when I wake up the machine in the AM there is no message from SD about not shutting down, timing out. SD has quit but the Mac's still awake, though not noticably groggy.

In other words, a certain preference isn't sticking.

The Mac is connected to a wirelessly to a Netgear router to which a NAS drive is attached. However, the back up via SD goes to an OWC firewire 800 drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Alarik
Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you've changed Options to shut down the Mac, but changing Options doesn't change existing scheduled copies. You have to delete and recreate your schedule to change it...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Same problem

Am doing a weekly smart update manually to a fire-wire drive on a Macbook (early 2007) running Leopard 10.5.3 with SD 2.5 (v84). Being paranoid, I option to have SD reboot the machine from the backup drive when it is finished, just to be sure I have a boot-able backup.

Recently (2-3 months), it always hangs on shutdown with the message "Logout has timed out because the application SuperDuper! failed to quit". After manually shutting down SD and then the Mac, everything seems fine. But it is annoying. Could this be a OS X problem?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

We have a few users this is happening to, Ed, and we're trying to figure out what's going on. Haven't been able to reproduce it at this end...
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Me too -- Auto shut down times out

Hey Dave -

I thought I'd send you a little more data. I'm having the same problem. Logout is timing out b/c SD can't quit. I have a new Mac Pro w/ Leopard 10.5.4. I'm cloning my main HD to a partition of a second internal HD. The backup seems to work fine, but the issue is SD not quitting and so causing the Shut Down to time out.

I've been using SD for quite a while with my old dual G5 computer running Tiger and never had a problem, but with the upgrade to my new computer with the new OS, new drives and a new version of SD, I'm running into this glitch.

Please let me know if you need me to gather any additional info. and I'll be happy to pass that on.

thanks,

eric