Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-12-2005, 06:56 AM

Scheduled backups?

I purchased SuperDuper because of all the good reviews and because the basic description showed an intuitive easily understandable interface for the "rest of us". (I used retrospect for the past years so you may understand what I mean). So full of joy I started to try to configure various sheduled backup tasks. However, I could absolutely not believe that in this polished application this means: writing an apple script (which I don't kno how to do, remember "the rest of us" includes me) and then configuring cron. Do I really have to use 2 additional applications (apple script, cron) and actually code the necessary steps (via apple script and terminal or CronniX) in order to perform a simple scheduled backup with SuperDuper. Please tell me that this is not true. Thank you very much for a reply.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:04 AM

Daily Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdimesch
I purchased SuperDuper because of all the good reviews and because the basic description showed an intuitive easily understandable interface for the "rest of us". (I used retrospect for the past years so you may understand what I mean). So full of joy I started to try to configure various sheduled backup tasks. However, I could absolutely not believe that in this polished application this means: writing an apple script (which I don't kno how to do, remember "the rest of us" includes me) and then configuring cron. Do I really have to use 2 additional applications (apple script, cron) and actually code the necessary steps (via apple script and terminal or CronniX) in order to perform a simple scheduled backup with SuperDuper. Please tell me that this is not true. Thank you very much for a reply.
I totally agree here. I just purchased SuperDuper last night and found that there is no option for a daily schedule that I can find. I would love to tell me computer to perform a daily smart backup at x am/pm every day so I don't have to remember. Besides, I can't script and am new to Mac's.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's (currently) true, but you don't have to write a script

Hi to the both of you!

v2.0 has scheduling built in, and it's very easy to deal with (please see my blog at http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog for lots of information about the new version). But, at present, you need to schedule things manually.

You don't know to know how to script, nor do you *have* to use CronniX.

Instead, follow the steps in Section 12 of the user's guide to save your settings and copy the Daily Backup application from the Extras folder to your Applications folder.

Then, open iCal. Create an event for the time you want to back up, and set the repeat for the repeat frequency you wish. Create an alarm for "0 minutes before" that event that opens a file, and select the "Daily Backup" application as the thing to open.

That's all there is to it! No scripting... and it'll all get easier when we release v2.0 (which will be a free update).

Sound OK?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 AM

Thank you very much for this very quick and helpfull reply. This seems to be easy to do
Old 06-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It really is -- give it a try!