Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 PM

SD sees different Vol name on Ext Drive partitions

I have an Ext drive, partitioned 3 ways. Lets say the names are DUPE1, DUPE2 and DUPE3. After cloning, I'll rename the partitioned volumes, to show the oldest clone.

SD makes the clones fine, but the next time I launch SD,
the SD target window shows "DUPE1 1" , even though the Finder Sidebar, and the desktop icon, still show "DUPE1". Subsequent cloning seems to increase the SD imposed "suffix". eg several clones later, the Mac displays (and Disk Utility) still show DUPE1, but the SD target window shows DUPE1 7 !

The clone seems to work ok, but I don't see why SD's target window does not display the same name as the Mac desktop & finder sidebar.
Is there a problem with renaming (partition) volumes after SD has used them for cloning>

Suggestions?

Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We display the number when the drive has mounted at an unusual location because a previous mount point either still exists or a folder with its name has been created. Check the /Volumes folder (use Finder's "Go To Folder" command) to see what might be there causing this... it's usually drive failure.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the response- can not check it now- am on the road.

Drive failure?? Gads! Hope not. Also all partitions work fine- the SD clones mount and one, and the partition for Time Machine also works.

Again, I'll check that folder search when I get home.

Is that path- "Finder > Go > RECENT folders" ?

Rich
Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

No, it's Finder > Go > Go To Folder.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM

No, it's Finder > Go > Go To Folder. >>>

OK, but as I'm not a Mac expert, let me ask-

When I go there, i should fill in . . . ..

and check for . .. . . . . . ?

rich
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

You fill in

Code:
/Volumes
and once there you look for any folders, not links/aliases, that have the names of the drives with the numbers after them...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 AM

Exclamation I have the same problem

Dave,

I've been using SuperDuper! for the past few years now. Love it. Great job. It saved my @$$ when I had 3x Hitachi drive failures, plus one Fujitsu that finally died after couple of years. All on the 2006 & 2007 generation MacBook Pros.

Apple finally swapped the computers for me (successively), so I am the proud owner of a spanking new Mid 2009 Unibody MBP 17.

I also bought a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 MB Firewire 800. Have been happily backing up on it for the past month.

Last night, for the first time, I noticed the same problem desertboomer saw, namely, that my backup volume had a "2" appended to the back of the name.

Been following the thread, so I saw your note below.

In the folder "Volumes", I noticed that "1" got created on Nov. 9th, and "2" got created last night.

Question: Do I have a problem with my backup drive? Should I replace it as it is still under warrantee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We display the number when the drive has mounted at an unusual location because a previous mount point either still exists or a folder with its name has been created. Check the /Volumes folder (use Finder's "Go To Folder" command) to see what might be there causing this... it's usually drive failure.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator

It certainly indicates there have been FW/Drive failures while you've been backing up. I'd try using USB rather than FW to see if that helps.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. I noticed the same problem on my other laptop in /Volumes also. The other laptop uses another drive as backup.

Cleaned both up, re-formatted the drives and did new backups. Everything seemed to go fine according to the logs.

Used USB on one, FireWire on the other.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 AM

Question Problem is back

Ok, I've been testing the 500 GB FreeAgent Go (named "Big MBP Backup") on FW 800 the last few days. The "-1" problem came back last night, when SD failed to quit on me when I selected the "Shut down when complete" option.

The problem seems to occur every time SD fails to quit before shutdown.

The process I use for backup every night is:

1. Disable Real-Time Intego Virus Scanner (Virusbarrier X5 10.5.10).
2. Plug in FW 800 Seagate FreeAgent Go.
3. Start up SD.
4. Initiate Smart Update with "Shutdown when complete" option.

Its been going fine for the last days. But for some strange reason, it gets this "-1" hiccup now and then and SD fails to quit on shutdown, despite the fact that the backup completes successfully - All the status indicators are in the green.

I've deleted the "-1" folder in /Volumes.

I've also sent the logfile to you with Summary title: "Failure to Quit SD upon Shutdown; /Volume gets "-1" Appended".

I'm going to try the following: I will use another drive with FW tonight ("Small MBP Backup") and use that for the next few days, with the same procedure as above.

If there is no issue, then I know the problem is with the FW 800 FreeAgent Go.

If not, then there is either (a.) A FW problem with the controller on my MBP, or (b.) Some software issue in the OS or Virusbarrier X5.

Any advice you can give me after perusing the logfile will be appreciated.

Last edited by girobike; 11-19-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot to finish sentence