Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Restored vol - document icons trashed

I just restored a complete volume after replacing the hard disk. Now all the document icons are generic. Double clicking the icon doesn't open the correct application. "Get info" shows "object.nib" as the default application. Wierd? The application icon appear to be ok.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That's a bit strange; it sounds like your Launch Services database needs to be rebuilt. It's easy to do, but requires the Terminal: you can cut and paste the following line to accomplish the fix (reboot after):

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
Scary as it seems, that should take care of it!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
That's a bit strange; it sounds like your Launch Services database needs to be rebuilt. It's easy to do, but requires the Terminal: you can cut and paste the following line to accomplish the fix (reboot after):

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
Scary as it seems, that should take care of it!
I have a similar problem. I cloned my Panther partition (X) from MacHD to a Firewire drive in order to re-partition MacHD, then cloned X back to MacHD and made a new safety clone on a second internal disc. Most document icons have become generic when I boot from the safety clone but are normal when I boot from X.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I'd try the same solution on your Safety clone, and see if that helps, supuhee.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 AM

No luck. Earlier today I tried sandbox but got no response, now I tried MacHD. I get the following messages:
2005-07-29 20:50:30.519 lsregister[769] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
Contents/Info.plist -- file://localhost/Applications/C-E/CocoaBooklet.app/
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
[Eds-G4:~] edwardan%
[Eds-G4:~] edwardan% /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
2005-07-29 20:53:57.321 lsregister[773] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
Contents/Info.plist -- file://localhost/Applications/C-E/CLIX/CLIX.app/
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
[Eds-G4:~] edwardan% /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
2005-07-29 20:55:27.978 lsregister[778] CFLog (0):
I trashed Cocoa Booklet and its plist file, but then Terminal complained about CLIX. and after I expunged CLIX and its plist, it complained about Chop. Evidently Terminal wants to clear out my entire Applications folder step by step, which is no solution.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure what to suggest, supuhee: Terminal is not suggesting clearing your Applications folder, but rather Launch Services is indicating that these particular applications have poorly formed Info.plist files. That seems to be preventing scanning: perhaps the applications have been updated?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supuhee
No luck. Earlier today I tried sandbox but got no response, now I tried MacHD. I get the following messages:
2005-07-29 20:50:30.519 lsregister[769] CFLog (0):
Contents/Info.plist -- file://localhost/Applications/C-E/CocoaBooklet.app/
2005-07-29 20:53:57.321 lsregister[773] CFLog (0):
2005-07-29 20:55:27.978 lsregister[778] CFLog (0):
I trashed Cocoa Booklet and its plist file, but then Terminal complained about CLIX. and after I expunged CLIX and its plist, it complained about Chop. Evidently Terminal wants to clear out my entire Applications folder step by step, which is no solution.
I noticed similar messages in 10.4.x on my iMac G5 when clicking the Extensions tab of the RCDefaultApp preference pane. At first they referred to older files (archived under my home directory) but after tedious deleting enough of them the messages referred to newer files I didn't want to delete. By then I was ready to give up anyway and haven't gotten back to resolving the matter. I can't replicate it on the eMac I'm using right now.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:12 PM

I just bought SuperDuper (which has a beautiful interface, btw) and used it to "defragment" my system drive by doing a backup and restore.

After the restore I had the above-mentioned file association problem.

Your one-liner seems to have fixed the symptom but I am a bit concerned about the underlying problem.

Also, and possibly related, my DiskCatalogMaker program crashed while reading its catalog. This is the first time I've seen such a crash from it. Just a heads-up.
http://SeattleFilmmakers.com
Seattle WA
206-290-8482

"In many ways editing is trying to understand the director's vision and then to surprise the director by going further than their vision."
Jill Bilcock, ACE
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

The underlying problem is just that it can take time for LaunchServices to refresh itself. "Forcing" a refresh makes sure everything is caught up.

I can't tell you why DiskCatalogMaker might crash... did it succeed a second time?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 AM

DiskCatalogMaker worked fine after restarting.
http://SeattleFilmmakers.com
Seattle WA
206-290-8482

"In many ways editing is trying to understand the director's vision and then to surprise the director by going further than their vision."
Jill Bilcock, ACE
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

OK, Joe -- that's good to hear. It's hard to say what might have been going on there without looking at why it crashed, but it could have just had a bug when it found itself running from a different drive...