Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 AM

OK, thanks. That's really a shame.

BTW, is there any _technical_ reason why SD couldn't be able to accomplish this?

The only "sort of half way solution" I can think of at the moment is to:

- have an OS X installation on a USB memory stick
- use Migration Assistant to copy my user account to the USB stick
- use Migration Assistant to "restore" my account to the original computer if needed, or to move it to another computer.

And that brings us to a new problem:

Does someone know a magic trick to make a USB stick bootable under Snow Leopard?

I've had OS X installations as well as bootable clones of Mac OS X Installation DVDs on USB sticks many times, but I have never succeeded in having a 10.6 installation on a stick and actually boot from it.

I think it all comes down to the fact that using 10.6 I've never succeeded in enabeling owners on the stick:

Making a clone of the Mac OS X Install DVD onto an USB stick with SD does not end up with a USB stick with owners enabled. (Check with Disk Utility.)

Why is that?

And removing the tag for "Ignore ownership on this volume" in the Get Info window for the USB stick does not do the trick either.

So, does anybody know how to enable owners on a USB stick (via the terminal, or any other way) in Snow Leopard?

- - -

This used to work in earlier versions of Mac OS X, but not in 10.6:

"Open up Terminal.app, and enter the following command:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/iTote

Be sure to change the name of the volume (iTote) to correspond to the name you gave your flash drive when you formatted it."

http://blog.bradbergeron.com/2006/11...a-flash-drive/

- - -

Or is it just the sticks that I've tried that don't support booting under 10.6?

Any succes stories?

-matts

PS. It's not my intention to use this forum for off topic discussions - I feel this topic IS very much related to SD!