Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM

new OS installed, Super Duper gone!

In the course of some repairs to my G4 Powerbook, Apple installed the latest OS for my machine, so some programs I had are now missing, including Super Duper. I do have these programs backed up, but they are on an (un-bootable) USB drive. I can get a Firewire drive and transfer everything over, and then boot up from the FW drive, but I was wondering if there is a way to get my version of Super Duper re-installed without doing that. Does anyone here know of a way I can do this?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 AM

Andy

Not quite clear what the problem here is. I take it you mean that Apple not only put a new OS on your machine, but also removed all of your information, or perhaps installed a new hard drive with that result?

Anyway, if you really mean that all you need to do is obtain SuperDuper and you are a purchaser, that is easy to do. If you still have your registration information, you simply download a new copy from this website and then apply your registration information. If you DON'T still have the info, communicate with support@shirt-pocket.com and they can help you. Remember too that in the interim you can always download the program and use it in "free" mode until you can retrieve your registration info.

I take it though that there is more to the problem, since you get into bootability of your external drive. Do you need to do a restore of a SuperDuper backup from that external drive? If so, just a copy of the program is not going to help much. The problem is that SD won't let you restore to the volume you are running from, no matter what/where the source of the restore resides.

If you do get ahold of a FW drive AND a copy of SuperDuper, then running SuperDuper from your internal drive you could clone the USB drive to the Firewire drive and be good to go. I may have totally not understood your problem, and if so, I apologize.

Last edited by TMay; 02-06-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM

If you do get ahold of a FW drive AND a copy of SuperDuper, then running SuperDuper from your internal drive you could clone the USB drive to the Firewire drive and be good to go. I may have totally not understood your problem, and if so, I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tmay, that is what I meant to do. I probably wasn't clear in my explanation, because I find the situation a little confusing.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Well... the "right" way to do this would have been to migrate -- that is, when it prompted you to 'copy from another Mac', you point it at the backup volume (as long as it's a "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" written directly to a real drive and not an image), and your applications and data will be brought over.

Since you didn't do this, you have two choices:

- Restore in full (see the User's Guide), which will require using your CD/DVD and Disk Utility, since your backup isn't bootable.

- Purchase the OS disc and use it to re-clean-install, and point it at the backup when prompted.

It's generally a very good idea to have the discs for the OS version you're using. I know it's a bit of a thrill to get a free copy of Leopard (or whatever), but without the DVD/CD you can't always do proper repairs, archive-and-installs, etc.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well... the "right" way to do this would have been to migrate -- that is, when it prompted you to 'copy from another Mac', you point it at the backup volume (as long as it's a "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" written directly to a real drive and not an image), and your applications and data will be brought over.

Since you didn't do this, you have two choices:

- Restore in full (see the User's Guide), which will require using your CD/DVD and Disk Utility, since your backup isn't bootable.

- Purchase the OS disc and use it to re-clean-install, and point it at the backup when prompted.

It's generally a very good idea to have the discs for the OS version you're using. I know it's a bit of a thrill to get a free copy of Leopard (or whatever), but without the DVD/CD you can't always do proper repairs, archive-and-installs, etc.
My original post must really have been off the mark, because your response seems very complicated to me, and I don't follow it. I paid for my OS, by the way, and I still have the discs, but I'm not sure how they figure in to my particular problem. As of now, Super duper is only on my backup drive, so I can't use it to restore itself, or the other apps I lost, until I get it back on my Mac. I'll will contact them, since I don't have my registration info any more. Thanks for trying to help.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure why the response is complicated... and I didn't mean to suggest you didn't pay for your OS. Rather, you indicated that Apple had installed "the latest" OS, which implied (to me, at least) that you didn't have that version installed before.

Anyway, I don't think you'll find either of the things I suggested difficult: it's certainly a lot simpler to restore than to reinstall everything (including things you might not have the registration info for).

What part are you finding confusing?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I'm not sure why the response is complicated... and I didn't mean to suggest you didn't pay for your OS. Rather, you indicated that Apple had installed "the latest" OS, which implied (to me, at least) that you didn't have that version installed before.

Anyway, I don't think you'll find either of the things I suggested difficult: it's certainly a lot simpler to restore than to reinstall everything (including things you might not have the registration info for).

What part are you finding confusing?
I was never prompted to copy from another Mac. The last time I used the software I did my usual "Erase then copy" backup. So I didn't understand what you meant.

About the latest OS - actually they installed "the latest Mac OS verified on your product," which would be 10.4.11. My bad for not stating that clearly. When you mentioned a CD/DVD, I guess I thought you were talking about having Super Duper on disc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not the most computer savvy person!

But I read the section in the User Guide about restoring when you can't restore from your backup, and it seems pretty straightforward. I may try it, but I'm still going to pick up a FW drive, because this experience has convinced me that I need to have two backups going at all times.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

OK. The restore should be easy, but it's definitely nice to start up from a FW drive -- and the more copies the better!