Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2005, 04:59 PM

My mind is boggling... confirming what's rolling around in my head...

OK, for some reason, some of this is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I'm not a very visual person, and trying to visualize what I'm doing to all my data is confusing me, LOL. I'm trying to make sure I'm backup up everything I need, without creating too many copies of things, and keeping things sync'd.

OK, so I've created a full backup in my external drive, on one partition. I've also created my safety clone, on a different partition, and have booted from the clone.

When setting up my original partitions on this external drive, I also set up a third partition called "Data". This contains all of my graphics work I've done over the past 4 years, it's stuff I always want to have. It also contains other important data I want to keep.

What I did with this data when I was using my Windows system, was saved it all in a briefcase file on my desktop, which I regularly synced with both my second pc and 5 zip disks. One of those zip disks held my most recent work, so it was a fairly quick way to have my most important data in 3 places, one being a hard copy.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle these files. I'm thinking of kind of replicating that system in a way, but I will no longer use the zip drive.

I can have a folder on my desktop that is basically a copy of the "Data" drive. This would get backed up regularly when I set up the automated backup system for my original HD. In that case it will get saved in three places... my desktop on my internal hard drive, in my external backup partition, and on the data partition. I guess the data partition is pointless and redundant, since it is on the same drive, just on a different partition. It's not really a third copy, since if that drive fails, all three partitions are gone. I guess I'm realizing that maybe a third copy just really isn't necessary, and keeping all three synced would be a PITB? Actually I really just need to sync the recent work folder, since the old stuff will always stay the same. Is there not a mac equivalent to Windows' briefcase?
________
cannabis seeds

Last edited by jettrue; 01-24-2011 at 08:22 AM.