Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-28-2005, 06:45 AM

v2 logging

Just upgraded to v2 and I like it alot. However, I wonder where is the logfile stored now? I use Console to check logs and it seems that SD is no longer storing the log file in any of the default places. Where is the logfile? Is it possible to force SD to log in ~/Library/logs?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Press Cmd-l and you'll see the log, dudeX. It's not possible to force it to log in ~/Library/Logs for now -- we've bundled the log with the settings to make it easier for users to manage their logfiles, and to send in what they need to support should the occasion arise.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:54 PM

Ok, found the logviewer. I quess this makes it easier for some of the users to view the logs. For me this was a step back, as I donīt like that log files are so tightly coupled to the originating application. I like my logs in standard system locations in pure text format.

Luckily Mac is blessed with unix goodness and Automator, so it wasn't that hard to set up things the way I prefer them to be.

Feature suggestion: let the users choose where and in what format they want the log file to be. Would also be nice if there was a choice after finished backup to send the daily log to a spesified address using some account from Mail.app.

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Well, we wanted to be able to highlight problems for users, and that meant using RTF. It's a standard, non-exclusive format, though... so it shouldn't be difficult to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestions. We likely won't allow them to be relocated unless there's a lot of demand for it -- there are too many advantages to having them where they are -- but we'll see what people say. Notification options are planned for the future...
Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 PM

Here, here ...

here's my vote. While SD! does an absolutely bestest job of KISS, you have taken away a great amount of user preference here. I want to get to my logs and do so in a normal manner. Surely setting it up as some kind of option can make both sides happy.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the vote, Macfeller. We'll have to see how the whole user base reacts to this, but I understand your concerns.

What, exactly, did you do with the logs you were getting in a normal manner? Were you scripting them?