Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-29-2006, 04:56 PM

Update only a specific folder in a sparseimage ?

Hi,
I have created a full backup of my main HD to a sparseimage on a second internal drive.
Since I created that image, I upgraded to 10.4.4, installed iWork and iLife '06 and added new photos and music to my iPhoto and iTunes libraries. Somehow one of the Apple updates messed up with my current installation and I want to revert back to my backup. I don't mind reinstalling iWork and iLife.

However, because I added new photos and Podcasts that I don't want to download again, I'd like to update only those folders in my sparseimage, so that I won't loose that data when my backup is being restored.
I don't foresee any problem for iTunes but it might be more tricky for iPhoto considering that the latter was a major upgrade that also update the library file.

Do I need to create a custom script if I only want to update my iTunes folder to my sparseimage for instance? Can I just mount the sparseimage and replace the folder in the image with my current one?

I am a bit lost here and any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Wanda
Old 01-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Before we start restoring, Wanda, what kind of things are wrong with the current install? Can you archive-and-install Tiger instead? That might be a better (and easier) approach...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:15 PM

If possible I'd like to avoid having to restart from scratch as I had a couple of things installed and configured to my liking. The sparseimage is the image of that setup.

Can I just mount the sparseimage and update some folders manually?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Archive and install doesn't start from scratch: it just lays down a new OS under your existing applications and data. That's why I'm suggesting it. I believe it'll be easier to do -- but I'd need to know more about what's wrong to give appropriate advice.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:45 PM

sorry if this should be a new thread or something but I'm also having problems with 10.4.4 and have bought superduper thinking sandbox would alliviate the kind of problem discussed here (in the future). yes or no?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Absolutely -- but you have to be booted from a Sandbox for it to help. It seems that Wanda just had a backup, though... no Sandbox (and certainly not running from one).
Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM

my thinking was, if I had a 10.4.4 problem (unconfirmed) and I set up a new partition (using iPartition) and re-installed 10.4 up to 10.4.3 (which was fine) I could then make that a Sandbox and share my apps and files to clarify if my problem was hardware or the update. If my logic was sound (no reason why it should be) coundn't Wanda try a 'retrofit sandbox'??
john
Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Well, you could create a Sandbox, then use archive-and-install over on the Sandbox to roll back, but I don't see any particular advantage of doing that vs. a straight archive-and-install (since it's easy enough to get back to 10.4.4, and the iPartition/install/update cycle won't be faster than just install/update).

Make sense?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 PM

I have 3 main problems since I installed 10.4.4:

1) the first one is not specifically 10.4.4 related (it already appeared in prior upgrades). I have a 24" Dell flat panel monitor, and with a clean install of Tiger it works great. However, at some point one of the Apple updates (don't remember which) messed up something and my screen display is as if I only had 16 colors (instead of millions). Needless to say that it is not only plain ugly but also very inconvienient. At some point I started from a fresh install and did not install any upgrade just to prevent this problem). Not the greatest solution either. So next time I'll probably install every update one by one to find out which one messes things up.
2) the second issue is that since 10.4.4 my Adobe Creative Suite doesn't launch anymore (any application of the suite).
3) the third is that iWork '06 crashes a lot. I just open the application, choose a template and crash...!

The rest seems to be working ok as far as I can tell... but then again I haven't been using it a lot since 10.4.4

So your recommendation would be to archive/reinstall rather than using my backup?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Well, for (1), did you check the display properties to verify whether it's set to "Millions"?

For 2) any diagnostics in the Console?

For 3), similar -- any crash log with useful information?

You could, of course, roll back, but you don't really know what's wrong yet, so it's hard to know if rolling back will fix it...