Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM

10.5 Leopard - yes or no?

Dave,

I just received my pre-release purchase offer from Apple for Leopard. I have an iMac 1.9GHz G5 with iSight, 1.5 Gb memory, and lots of HD, currently running OS X 10.4.10. I assume you've had some time with 10.5, and that SD is compatable. Is it a good move buy ($129) & to install it?

SD is running great, no problems, really a superb product, once I learned to think first and press "Return" later. Thanks for your help.

Dale Meyn
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
SD! is not yet compatible with Leopard. The current build was compatible with Leopard from back in February, but things have changed since then. We don't have the final bits, so we cannot test. A Leopard compatible version will be released when we have that final build and can complete testing...

I'm sure Leopard will be a good release. But... it might be a good idea -- as always -- to wait a little while to make a major change.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:40 AM

I'm a paid up customer of yours, love the product, but it's a shame you won't have a Leopard version ready to go on release. Are you not part of ADC?

Out off all the Apps I use, SuperDuper and Tunnelblick were the only two that aren't ready yet - but the developer of Tunnelblick (an open source app) emailed an updated binary which works fine.

I guess I will have to use Time Machine for backups to start with, which is a shame, as I think doing a full system restore would be a pain. You can't even boot from the backup drive

I could go on about Time Machine, it could have been so much better, but this is not the place.

Looking forward to the next release of SD

James
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Of course we're part of ADC. But the version currently available is not the final version, and we don't want to release something that's supposedly compatible without testing with it...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Of course we're part of ADC. But the version currently available is not the final version, and we don't want to release something that's supposedly compatible without testing with it...
Dave, thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait.

James - give Shirt Pocket credit - have you followed the problems the developers have had with the latest Windows system? They jumped the gun, and people ended up having to run two versions of Windows (old and new) to use their favorite apps. Dave is giving good advice - wait until Leopard settles down and they can do the final matching tweaks. Tiger is working fine, I'm not in a hurry to have the latest.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 AM

Boy, did Dave give good advice. Old computer adage: you can tell the pioneers 'cause they're the ones with arrows in their chests.

As one who has used Mac OS's from 1.1 on, I have seen the bad ones (late still-betas dubbed as golden masters) come and go, intermixed with the good ones. If that doesn't convince you, take a look at Microsoft's efforts.

I would NEVER run my "real" system under a new release of a major OS update (10.n, in this case) before several months had elapsed and it could be seen just how the update is shaking out. Even several of the Tiger releases have given problems for many, while most have been fine.

Run a "parallel universe" if you need to play with the latest and greatest, but keep it far away from the "real" one. (And yes, I've been doing that for a number of months with successive Leopards. And some features definitely haven't been ready for prime time, though perhaps they are now.)

P.S. Dave, great new "redux" blog entry today. All you Leopard-heads should take a look at Dave's update of "Time's Arrow," in his blog. --Ted--

Last edited by TMay; 10-24-2007 at 03:16 AM.