Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The Safety Clone is not a backup, Jeff. It's a checkpoint of the system files. In fact, forget that it's got the words "Clone" and "Safety" in it. Pretend it says:

"System Checkpoint - shared users and applications"

instead.

So, what it's doing is copying the OS, and then "sharing" the applications and user files. The total size of the OS is far less than 10-12GB (not MB -- GB).

I -- and many others -- use this with iTunes all the time. I also use Dreamweaver, and those extensions are actually stored in /Library, not in ~/Library (off your home), so it would help in those situations.

But, anyway -- if you don't want to use a Safety Clone, don't! There's nothing that requires you to do so. Just use a regular backup if you're more comfortable with it.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:09 PM

"Safety clone" misnomer

Quote:
The Safety Clone is not a backup, Jeff. It's a checkpoint of the system files. In fact, forget that it's got the words "Clone" and "Safety" in it. Pretend it says:

"System Checkpoint - shared users and applications"

instead.
Apologies if this has been suggested before, but given the widespread confusion about what a Safety Clone actually is, wouldn't it be better to call it, a System Checkpoint?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Administrator

As I've mentioned in my Blog post -- and above -- it's going to get renamed in v2.0, and "System Checkpoint" is one of the leading contenders... as is "Sandbox".

"Sandbox" has one advantage: you can't assume you know what it means, and thus you have to read about it. "System Checkpoint" is clearer, but might have unexpected associations...
Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
"Sandbox" has one advantage: you can't assume you know what it means, and thus you have to read about it. "System Checkpoint" is clearer, but might have unexpected associations...
The Uninstaller app on my Palm PDA uses a "Sandbox" to quarantine an app during installation for testing purposes, then offers the choice to install or reject it (and any files/prefs it's created). That's similar in concept to a SuperDuper! Safety Clone so I'd prefer it being renamed to Sandbox since that's clearer than "System Checkpoint" to me.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

I think no matter what I end up choosing, Scott, someone's going to end up confused...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:23 PM

Well, you could call it the Super System Safety Sandbox Checkpoint Clone Duper!™ and guarantee that everyone will be confused, including you.

Okay, enough silliness.