Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM

Backup - All Files

Hello...

Am I correct that if I do a Backup - All Files to an external bootable harddrive, then I could put a new harddrive in my MacBook, boot to the external harddrive and run SuperDuper to restore to the new harrddrive, and then boot from the new harrdrive as though nothing had happened?

If so, can the new harddrive be a larger size than the original?

New to Macs and SuperDuper so my apologies if this is a bit silly, but I want to be sure.

MacBook 10.4.8 Intel Core 2 Duo

Thx,
O.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yes and yes. Just make sure you use the right partition format: an internal drive on an Intel mac MUST be partitioned with GUID.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Very good. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Can't backup because user file corrupt

Not sure whether this is the appropriate place to start a new thread, but I've been unable to complete a backup because I have a corrupt user (home) file. I've launched a new user account, but I can't access the old one since File Vault won't recognize my login. Please advise how to proceed. TIA.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I'm not sure what you mean, Bruce. So, your FileVault is corrupt... but you can't access your old user files? That's because FileVault hides/encrypts them...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, Bruce. So, your FileVault is corrupt... but you can't access your old user files? That's because FileVault hides/encrypts them...
Sorry I've been unclear: When I fail to log in 3X, I get prompted for the Master Password, which the system application purportedly allows me to reset the old user account password. But I am unable to reset the old user password, despite the fact that I've successfully logged in with the Master Password. This phenomenon only occurred when I upped my administrator privileges in the new account by checking "allow any user to administer this computer". Now, when I attempt a backup using the new administrator account, SD stalls. I get an empty folder for the old user account. Since I'm not a Unix geek, I don't know how to proceed. I want to eliminate the old user account, while preserving the user files, which Mac OSX states I should be able to do. What do you suggest? TIA. (BTW, if you know of any specific Unix commands that could accomplish this, I would be very grateful.)