Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 AM

After weeks, the problem has miraculously resolved itself on my machine. For several days in succession the problem did not occur. After the backup completes, the computer does shut down as expected. I changed nothing, not to the system, not to SD, not to user settings, not to login items, no new applications. I did not do any specific maintenance. I used my computer as I always do.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yeah. This is why it's hard for us to reproduce here...
Old 07-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Problem solved?

Today, with the only change I can think of, the Leopard 10.5.4 update, my machine Smart-Updated to the external firewire drive and then, correctly, shut down and re-booted from the backup. Life is good again.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:31 AM

I just posted on this problem in the sticky thread about pre-binding issues.

I am getting the same message and refusal to shutdown as others have reported. I thought it might be related to the script but I can't say for sure if I had the problem before the script. I know it only started happening since I upgraded to Leopard.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 AM

If it helps, I deleted my schedule entry and everything shutdown fine. Don't know why I tried that but the logical next step would be to recreate an entry and then test again but I am too lazy to do that at the moment.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the additional info.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edblanton View Post
Today, with the only change I can think of, the Leopard 10.5.4 update, my machine Smart-Updated to the external firewire drive and then, correctly, shut down and re-booted from the backup. Life is good again.
A week later, it's back to its old tricks - "SD failed to quit..."
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Hi guys,

Having made the switch to Mac in October and after some good comments about your software in both MacCast and MacBreak Tech, as well as in my web research, I wanted to try it out. Since you give no trial option, a couple of days ago I downloaded the full version from a P2P network and I will try it for a while, in case I'll continue with it I'll buy it, otherwise I will delete it.
Sorry but I never buy software before I have tried it.

Anyway, regarding this problem, I got the SuperDuper! 2.5(v84) and Mac OS X 10.5.4. The computer is a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 256MB nVidia graphics, 4GB RAM and 160GB internal hard drive. I'm backing up to a G-Tech G-Drive Q with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 using Firewire 800.

Regarding the backup procedure, I've backed up twice (yesterday night and the day before) doing it exactly in the same way and having the same problem.

After finishing all of my work, I close all my applications and remove my internet USB modem. I plug the hard drive in and and Time Machine starts backing up. Since I'm using FileVault, once it finishes I need to logout to allow it to perform the backup itself. Once done I log-in again and without starting any application I run SuperDuper!. It is not running scheduled, I start it and perform a full back up to the same drive using Smart Update and selecting Restart from the back up on successful completion. I didn't change anything else.

Hope this help, if you need any further information let me know. So far after using the product twice I am happy and really considering buying it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

You can't use SD! to back up a FileVault volume while you're logged into it (see the User's Guide) and expect to get a good backup in all cases.

I don't really have any solution for this "Restart" issue right now. We're unable to reproduce the problem here, but we're aware of the fact that people are having problems and we're trying to figure it out.

Please see this post regarding 'trial copies' of SuperDuper.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM

I get the "** the application Super Duper failed to quit" message too, when I try to have SuperDuper automatically restart from the backup. I emailed Dave about it some time ago but he was unable to offer a solution. I have since managed to narrow down the problem somewhat, and it only happens when I am cloning to a buss-powered Firewire 400 HDD. It doesn't happen when I clone to a mains powered USB HDD, and it also doesn't happen when I clone from the FW or USB HDD's back to the internal HDD.

I have had this problem since I upgraded to Leopard and through all of its point updates.

Also, after I get rid of the 'logout failed' message, I am able to manually quit SuperDuper.

I hope this helps a little in tracking down the problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I get the "** the application Super Duper failed to quit" message too, when I try to have SuperDuper automatically restart from the backup. I emailed Dave about it some time ago but he was unable to offer a solution. I have since managed to narrow down the problem somewhat, and it only happens when I am cloning to a buss-powered Firewire 400 HDD. It doesn't happen when I clone to a mains powered USB HDD, and it also doesn't happen when I clone from the FW or USB HDD's back to the internal HDD.
I have (or had?) the problem intermittently, always with the same setup, which is backing up from the internal HDD to a self-powered (not bus-powered) external FireWire drive.

Quote:
I have had this problem since I upgraded to Leopard and through all of its point updates.
Also here the problem started after upgrading to Leopard. (Erase and install of 10.5.1 with user migration from clone and immediate updating with 10.5.3 combo-updater.) Have not had the problem (yet) since updating to 10.5.4 (again using the combo-updater).

Quote:
Also, after I get rid of the 'logout failed' message, I am able to manually quit SuperDuper.
The same here.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

Same problem happening again.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edblanton View Post
A week later, it's back to its old tricks - "SD failed to quit..."
FYI: Last two backups went perfectly. When completed, SD restarted from the backup drive as instructed in the options.

Both of these times I manually shutdown all programs, did a restart and then ran SD. I am suspicious that Firefox (which is almost always open on my computer) may have been causing the "SD failed to quit...." problem.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 AM

I am not sure yet if I can reproduce the problem reliably, but it is seems that this time-out happens when I run SD! shortly after I did a fresh login.

That would also explain why I had the problem often after upgrading to Leopard and now only sporadically. The first weeks after upgrading I did a fair lot of adding, replacing or deleting software, reorganizing things on my Mac, often followed by a restart or log-out and again log-in. I did that usually at the end of the day, before I finally let SD! do the backup and shutdown.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldPR View Post
I am not sure yet if I can reproduce the problem reliably, but it is seems that this time-out happens when I run SD! shortly after I did a fresh login.
Well, it seems I can reliably reproduce the problem, at least on my machine. In the past 8 days I have run SD! alternately after I worked at least a couple of hours after the last login and shortly after login. Twice I logged in holding the shift key to make sure no login items would interfere. When I ran SD! shortly after login, each time and only then, auto shut down timed out because SD! 'could not be quit'.

SD! is set to repair permissions, backup all files using Smart Update, and finally shut down the computer.
Intego VirusBarrier X5 Real-Time Scanner was disabled in all cases.
The target volume is included in Spotlight 'Privacy' list.
The target volume, a LaCie FireWire drive, is permanently connected to my computer, but usually not on. The drive is switched on, and the target volume mounted, shortly before SD! is launched and is switched off after the computer is shut down.

So, when I logout, again login (with or without holding the shift key), switch on the LaCie drive, launch SD! after the target volume is mounted, and start SD! to do its thing, the final shut down times out.

Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X 10.5.4, SD! 2.5 (v84)

Last edited by RonaldPR; 08-28-2008 at 05:46 AM.