Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-06-2022, 11:58 AM

just cloning the data

With regard to system cloning, one strategy is to just clone the whole thing. As far as I can see, that works. Another, somewhat more data-economical possibility is to just clone the "data partition", and after installing a fresh copy of the OS on the boot disk, move the cloned data partition back on the boot disk. Is that "data partition" basically what you get when you clone "user files". Once you clone "user files" will SuperDuper move them onto the boot disk with the newly downloaded OS?
Old 09-06-2022, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No.

"User files" is just the Home folders (/Users). The data volume is copied (and updated) using "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" under Big Sur and later.

SuperDuper doesn't move them onto the boot disk - you want to select "Restore" after a clean install and then point at the SuperDuper backup. That'll merge in all the data, settings and applications.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I guess I'm a little confused. Backup-all files get the operating system as well, does it not? I'm wondering if there is a way with SuperDuper to archive everything EXCEPT the OS, such that to rebuild the system, you download a fresh copy of the OS, and then attach everything else to it using your archived backup.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
"Backup - all filess" backs up essentially all files on the volume selected. With a "split volume" (System + Data on separate volumes), "Erase, then copy" copies BOTH volumes with replication (and cannot be selective). "Smart Update" copies just the Data volume (leaving the system volume alone).

If you just want to copy data, you use, as I said, "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update". I'm pretty sure I covered this at the blog...