Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Saving us from ourselves - keep BU unmounted

I like SuperDuper for making a backup clone to external Firewire disk. I'm pleased to be able to save a "Daily Backup" and run it on schedule (with CronniX).

But I'm very concerned that many of the very same people that I can't trust to insert CDRs, DVDRs, or Tapes during a scheduled back up also may do "The Wrong Thing" with an extra mounted copy of their HD always available to them. I can just see them doing a "Find" looking "Everywhere" for a document, and then editing the one on the clone, which will then be overwritten during the next scheduled backup. Not a happy thing. Who knows what other silly things they might do if their backup is always right there & open?

So since I probably can't lock the clone volume for writing without causing some problem for the backup, I'd settle for making the Fw hd dismount after the clone operation, and trying to keep it unmounted until the SD program runs again. The current version of SD can run a script after the clone, but not before. So this may be an impossible order unless it could also also run a script before the clone operation. Oh, and in a major or minor crises, of course then the user will need full unrestricted access to the clone on the fw disk.

So, would it be possible for the next version of SD! to be able to mount volumes as needed, and dismount them when finished? Ideally, those same volumes could be marked as "don't mount at startup", or maybe better; mounted at startup but if not booted from, immediately dismounted. A script run at login could do that.

Please help save us from ourselves!

Thanks,
Dave Nathanson
Mac Medix

Last edited by MacMedix; 10-09-2005 at 12:27 PM. Reason: corrected a minor spelling typo.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Dave:

The scheduled backup scripts have a way for you to change them, and add commands before and after backups: using that, you can mount/unmount volumes at will.

You can also use the "On successful completion" script to unmount, should you wish to.

At present, though, v2.0 won't have a formal UI for mounting/unmounting volumes: in our experience, this isn't something that people make mistakes with (although, of course, they could)... but, should it prove problematic in a significant way, we'll take steps to address it for all users.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 AM

I'd appreciate the convenience of certain "backup relevant" disk/volume management commands being available directly in SD! instead of having to run them from a script.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Administrator

I do understand that it would be convenient, but I have to weigh that utility against the necessary UI -- and inherent complication -- that will bring.

Which isn't to say it's not worthy: just that it's not worthy *yet*.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi,
I understand your drive to keep the UI clean, simple & uncluttered. Thats good, and I applaud you for sticking to your guns on this.

Could you provide a set of scripts showing how to mount & dismount disk volumes correctly? (And perhaps email a report when completed, plus other handy functions I'm not thinking of at the moment?) You could comment out all script steps, and tell us what to uncomment and how to edit it for our particular situation. I imagine we would at least need to insert the names of our disk volumes.

Only the advanced users would ever look at these scripts, but it would be a really big help to some of us!

Thanks!
Dave Nathanson
Mac Medix
Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Dave --

At present, I just don't have the time to commit to writing scripts for you -- sorry (really).

You can see the mount/unmount stuff elsewhere on the forums (they're definitely there), though... perhaps someone else can pop some things on the thread that'll help you, too. I certainly welcome the discussion -- I know there are a lot of people out there who have the knowledge to contribute here...