Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-19-2006, 05:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to gryphonent Send a message via AIM to gryphonent
Last Backup Notification?

Just registered last week and I’m still new to SuperDuper. One thing I’m missing from previous backup programs that I was running before is information on when a successful (sic!) backup was run under a certain script for the last time. This information could appear directly under the drop-down menu where the backup-script is selected and would surely help users. What do you think?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We do provide last-run information for scheduled copies, Jurgen. It's harder to do so for a script, because the source and destinations can be different each time...

(successful [sic]? What's wrong with "successful"?)
Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM

I see. Well, would it be possible to include that information for a script in the following form then: “Last successful backup for script XYZ from drive XYZ to drive XYZ ran on XYX.” ??

As for the (sic!): Synchronize Pro had an option to skip files if they cannot, for whatever reason, be copied after a set number of tries. There was of course a log, but who studies that long list in the end? A backup was only classified as "successful" if ALL designated files where copied without any problems/errors. Not sure how SuperDuper treats "difficult" files it cannot copy... I believe to have read somewhere in the help document that the backup is then stopped... however, I'd prefer it to continue the backup and notify me of the fact that some (which?) files were skipped due to problems/errors.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I've got a number of plans for things that would improve status information, but nothing in the very short term; thanks for your suggestion, though!

Not sure that's a [sic] (which usually means "mistake here comes from the original context" when quoted), but SuperDuper! won't successfully complete a copy if there are errors during the process. The error (and file) is listed at the bottom of the log.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will look forward to these improvements... Love SuperDuper's ease of use.

As for [sic], you're right, though the abbreviation does not only refer to mistakes. The term also indicates that preceding quoted material is intended to be read or printed exactly as shown, which in the context makes sense, ie. "successful" only when all files are backed up without error.