Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM

What kind of image file for segmenting?

An old posting to this forum, “Segmented dmg files - can it be done?”, seems to imply that the only type of disk image supported by SD is the “Sparse Image” variation.

Is this the kind SD makes by default when the “make image” option is selected? Does it do this automatically, or must an image be created, mounted, and targeted, before a disk image can be made?

Further, since I’m timid about using command line (a lousy typist), can’t a regular .dmg file be created instead, and then, mounted, and targeted, and afterward be segmented with MacPar Deluxe, in preperation for burning to DVD?

In another article, SparseImage lock-in?, dnanian says:
“If you'd like, you can create a read/write DMG using Disk Utility and point SD! at that mounted image. We're more than happy to copy to it….” That would be the preferable option here, circumventing the need to get into command line stuff for now. In this case, couldn’t the basic sandbox procedure be used?

For the time being, I’m on an old Sawtooth, with tiny 30MB to 60GB hard drives, so space is at a premium.
__
Ignormus

Soon as the issues with the new Mac Pro are ironed out, and now that the 8800GT card is finally available, along with the 10.5.2 update, I’ll be taking the plunge. Then I’ll be registering SD and taking advantage of it’s other more advanced bacup features. Be pesterin’ you further then.