Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Ownership & Read-only Volume - Help! :)

I have a Drobo that I am attempting to transfer files *from* - onto another unit.

The "bad" volume mounts but is read-only - regardless of what I try to do about it (this includes Disk Utility repair, Disk Warrior rebuild, Cocktail (unavailable)) etc. The permissions are actually displayed correctly - but they are greyed out.

I thought that I would be able to at least get the files off of the troublesome drive using Super Duper (the files are mostly a Time Machine volume) and then perhaps have better luck getting the permissions straightened out on the new volume.

When I attempt to perform a copy using SD, I get an error that SD couldn't take ownership of the bad volume and in the log, this is displayed:

| 04:44:37 PM | Error | vsdbutil: Couldn't update volume information for '/Volumes/DeLorean': Read-only file system
| 04:44:37 PM | Error | vsdbutil: no valid volume UUID found on '/Volumes/DeLorean': Read-only file system

It appears that the volume is there... but isn't - at the same time.

I attempted the command

sudo cp -r /DeLorean /Drobo

which resulted in this error:

cp: /DeLorean: No such file or directory

Using the same command without the "/" before "DeLorean" (the bad volume) started the file copy but there were tons of errors, I assume due to the Time Machine file structure.

Is there anything I can do to get SD to copy these files across? It is read-only... so it should be able to at least READ them?

Thanks so much
Eric
Happy Registered SD User!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Unfortunately, if it won't let us enable ownership for the volume, we can't copy it, Eric. Sounds like it's badly damaged anyway, actually, so any copy would have likely failed.