Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 AM

'Scheduled Copies' Constantly Crashes

New user to SD and I am having great difficulty getting 'Scheduled Copies' to complete any backup without crashing before the task has completed. If I manually run the same task, 'most' of the time it will complete without issues.

I am on a 20" Intel iMac with 2GB RAM running 10.4.8 logged in as the root user (machine is a web server and so never goes to sleep)

My backup device is a LaCie Big Disk Extreme 600GB with 2 partitions, one for a live system clone and the other to hold disk images. There are no other devices on the firewire bus.

I bought SD specifically for the ability to do these unattended backups but have had no real success yet.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by Yep; 01-19-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
OK, "Yep". Hi, are you running 10.4.8? If so, there's a bug in the OS that's causing this, that we're hopeful will be fixed in 10.4.9 . In the meantime, try the following:

- Restart your Mac
- Quit all other applications
- Run SuperDuper! and start the backup
- Immediately Hide superDuper with Cmd+H
- Walk away and let the backup complete
- Restart your Mac

That should get it through the first run. Subsequent Smart Updates shouldn't require the workaround.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your suggestion but if you check my post, I am only having issues with 'Scheduled Copies' crashing. If I manually run the same task, it will usually complete without issues. When SD runs from a 'Scheduled Copy' there are no other applications running in the 'Finder' but there are many web/mail/mysql/Lasso server processes running which startup automatically with the machine.

I am trying to do a 'Smart Update' of the drive to use for an immediate solution to hardware failure but I am also trying to do a full disk image backup to the other partiton on the drive for historical restores (if for some reason the machine becomes unstable/hacked or mis-configured) Is there a way (run after script?) that will allow multiple disk images to exist in the same location by automatically appending the date to the image name eg: backup_01/20/2007.dmg?

Again, thanks for your suggestions,

Geoff
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I did see that: are your scheduled copies smart updates of existing full copies? If so, can you send the crash log to the support address?

If one of the backups is a full copy, that's likely the one that's failing. No workaround for that, really, until 10.4.9 fixes the underlying problem...

Certainly, an "after copy" script (more easily done in an after copy section of the schedule driver) could copy the image with a data. don't rename it, though: just copy and keep updating the same base.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:12 AM

Hi Dave,
This just gets sillier.............
I am now down to trying to do 2 backups, now both smart updates run over manually run first builds.

Backup 1 is a smart update of the live system to the equivalent live system partition on the LaCie.

When called by the schedule, it will run but SD will crash leaving an Apple dialogue box 'Close-Reopen-Report' or somesuch. If I close this dialogue and reopen SD, the scheduler does not indicate to me that the backup has failed nor is there a log available. All this assumes that I am around to click 'Close' in the error box.

Backup 2 is exactly the same except it is backing up to a sparse image on the other partition of the LaCie.

This is where the silly part come in........ If, after both these have failed, I edit the times they are to run to a later time so as to try again, both will run to completion without error.

ps: I have sent you my crash log
Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Well, it's definitely the kernel bug, based on the crash logs. Because the bug itself is intermittent, you might be able to get a copy through after one has failed...

Unfortunately, the workaround is the best we can do for now... frustrating, I know, but we're gated on fixes in the OS.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Intel only problem?

I think I might be having the same problems.

When I run scheduled copies my Intel Xserve freezes. No log file created.

Do you know if this is an Intel build of 10.4.8 problem only?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

It's Intel-only, definitely.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM

I'm having this same issue, and the workaround posted above only allows one scheduled backup to complete. The following scheduled backup crashes and won't work again until I reboot and complete a manual backup. The sole reason I paid for this software was scheduled backups and it's not working! Very frustrating.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Are you sure your scheduled backup is a "Smart Update" of the same backup?

(It is frustrating, we know -- we're frustrated, too...)
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Yes. A manual backup seems to work fine, and once I reboot, and let it run it's scheduled backup at night, it completes. But then the following day I wake up to a crashed SD. So unless I reboot everyday, this seems to be what I can expect.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I really don't know why it's crashing like that for you, but it will be fixed when 10.4.9 comes out...