Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Number added to backup drive

This is a follow-up to the recent thread titled SD sees different Vol name on Ext Drive partitions . That thread gave a helpful rundown on why numbers would be added to SD target drives, and how to view the results in the /Volumes drive.

I've got this same problem with the external drive partitions I'm using for SD backups (you can see a screenshot of my /Volumes folder here), but I was confused by the solution to the problem offered in the aforementioned thread. The solution to cleaning up the mess seemed to involve deleting all the numbered drive folders in the /Volumes folder, but not the numbered alias folders. Is that correct? What exactly should I do to clean up the /Volumes folder so I can once again use SD to make a backup to an unnumbered drive?

(The origin of my problem, for what it's worth, was this: I was having trouble completing SD backups because the external USB drive kept being randomly ejected. I was using a USB hub at the time which seems to have made the drive mounting unstable. Once I reverted to plugging the ext. drive directly into one of my MacBook's USB sockets, the external drive was no longer being ejected.)
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Only delete folders. Do not delete any aliases at all, nor Volumes itself. Then restart your Mac.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Just to clarify, should I delete ALL the backup drive partition folders in /Volumes, or just the ones with the numbers added?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Anything that's a folder (vs. an alias/link). There shouldn't be any folders in there.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 AM

OK, looks like everything worked and I'm back to normal.

To sum it up, I ejected and disconnected my external drives, and then deleted all the non-alias folders that had been created by SD in my laptop's /Volumes folder, (but obviously left alone the MacBook drive itself).

Then I reconnected the external drives, restarted the MacBook, launched SD, and performed a normal backup to the usual (now non-numbered) ext. drive backup partition. The only items that I see in my /Volumes folder now are the mounted drives and external drive partitions.

Many thanks for the helpful advice.