Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Backing up VMware Fusion

I currently do not use VMware or Windows on my Mac Pro. The plan is to purchase Fusion 3 when it is released next week. Windows XP Sp 3 will be used until I learn whether Windows 7 works well in Fusion 3. My issue right now is the best practice for backing up a VMware image assuming the VM virtual machine package file type does not change with a new Fusion version. These questions do NOT involve Boot Camp. VMware discourages regular Time Machine backups because of the accumulation of images that will choke the backup drive in a single day. If it is true that Super Duper's sparse bundle does not radically increase in size from repeated copies, I would be happy to include VMware in nightly backups using SD. This raises several questions in my mind:

What is the file type of VMware's virtual machine package (.vmwarevm)?

If it is a sparse image or sparse bundle, will SD be copying a VM sparse image or bundle to SD's own sparse bundle when I back up to my networked Time Capsule?

Does that kind of copying work reliably?

Will it function reliably when the destination copy is restored to the main drive after successful repair or replacement of the main hard drive?

Do Windows anti-piracy measures cause problems when Windows-in-VMware is copied by SD from one internal drive to another on the same computer?

How about copying Windows-in-VMware to a networked Time Capsule?

If I were to replace my current Mac Pro with a new Mac Pro, would it be the best practice to insert a hard drive containing an SD clone from the old Mac into a bay on the new Mac and then proceed to install the system on the new Mac's main drive using the new installation disk and import the apps, settings and data from the old drive when the installer calls for it?

How would I do this going from a Mac Pro to a new 27" iMac?

Sorry for the list, but each scenario, except the last one, has already happened to me, but those events did not involve VMware or Windows.