Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Booting from an SD backup post Mavericks causes "FIPS Kernel POST Failed!" panic

I've been successfully making backups with SuperDuper! for years, and after completion I always test that I can boot from the backup drive.

After upgrading to Mavericks, I did my first SD backup using Smart Update to a target drive that already had a working, bootable backup that was made earlier with SD from Mountain Lion.

The backup itself was successful, and I can't see any obvious errors in the log file.

However, when I try to boot from the backup drive, I get an error very early in the boot process, just after the Apple logo appears:
panic(cpu 0 caller ...): FIPS Kernel POST Failed!
Further down it says "Kernel Extensions in backtrace: com.apple.kec.corecrypto(1.0)..."

This is repeatable every time I try to boot from the backup, and never happens at any other time. I option-booted back to my primary drive and everything is fine again. I've attached a screenshot of the full error message.

From the error, it looks like some kind of cryptographic check is failing. Any idea what this is about? Did Apple do something new and evil in Mavericks to interfere with cloning a system drive?

Last edited by wildthing; 11-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No - we're having no problems backing up and booting from Mavericks. I'd try an erase-then-copy backup.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM

OK, will try erase-then-copy and let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 AM

Smile

(8 hours later...) Yep, that worked: I did an erase-then-copy, and the backup is now fully bootable.

I wonder what caused the problem though. Have you tried Smart Updating a Mountain Lion backup to Mavericks yourself? Are there any reports of that working? I wonder if the problem was specific to me.

It seems that Mac OS X does have a "FIPS mode" that performs some kind of cryptographic checks on startup: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5239

From the error message I got, it sounds like this could have gotten enabled or at least be related in some way. I have no idea why/how though.

Last edited by wildthing; 11-06-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I usually suggest that when you move to a major OS version, it's a good idea to do an erase-then-copy. So much content has changed that you'll end up with a much more fragmented volume (zillions of small file deletes, moves and copies).

But I don't know of anything in Smart Update that would be "confused" just because a lot of files changed. OS X might be playing some games there, though - or, one of the files on the drive might have had some bitrot and was "up to date" but its content might not have been correct.

Remember - bitrot can occur. It's always a good idea to have multiple backups of stuff...
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM

OK thanks, makes sense. I'll try and remember that for OS X 10.10 and later!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
After upgrading to Mavericks...
Is anyone still using SuperDuper let alone with Mavericks. Having not used SuperDuper since purchasing a new machine 6 months ago, I'm about to upgrade to Mavericks was hoping to restart my regular SuperDuper backup schedule which was working for years...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Yes - many people are using SuperDuper, both with and without Mavericks, "B2O". Why?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM

B2O

I am using Super Duper! with my Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks Mac Book Pros.
I also use Time Machine. Super Duper! is my safety net!

Tags
boot, error, mavericks, panic