Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM

GUIDed or not and USB2 or 3 OK?

How does one tell whether a volume containing a volume which is formatted as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” is using GUID, neither Disk Utility nor Disk Info will say.

I ask because the SuperDuper! backup of my Startup Volume is on it and doesn’t work, though it is presented as an option with Startup Disk. It’s probably 5 years old by now. I can't even remember whether it ever worked. Don’t ask.

By the by, it’s on an internal Volume of 100MB of a 500B Hitachi HDD inside an Early 2008.

My second question concerns the requirement that firewire connection be used, rather than USB. I presume that doesn’t pertain to USB2 or USB3, but is rather remains due to the manual not having been updated. Correct?

Please advise.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It *is* shown in Disk Utility - select the hardware above the volume, and you'll see it at the bottom.

If the drive appears in the startup disk preference pane, it's GUID.

So - it doesn't boot and is internal? What happens when you try? Is it an erase-then-copy or Smart Update?

If you read the User's Guide and System Requirements, they don't say USB can't be used. Rather, it indicates USB won't work on *Power PC* Macs.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM

UIDed or not and USB2 or 3 OK?

Thanks Dave,

Who wudda guessed — sure’nuf Disk Utility shows, when selecting the Disk, rather than the Volume: “Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table”
The HDD is an Hitachin500GB SATA HDP725050, which I will erase, reformat and try to and use to make another copy of this OS X 10.5.6, befor updating to 10.5.9, and repeating. Then, after testing, I’ll put it into cold storage. I’ve frankly had it with these slow green drives, and glued shut cases. Better to go with WD Blacks for my own work, and at least 7200rpms for storage and backups.
Any docking stqtion recommendations?

The new Startup Disk will have 10.8 or 10.9, and will have cleanly installed and updated applications on it.

You are indeed correct - the Doc does say “USB drives cannot be used as a startup drive for PowerPC based Macintoshes“ So that’s out of the way.

Todd

Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM

GUIDed or not and USB2 or 3 OK?

[QUOTE=dnanian;32774]

So - it doesn't boot and is internal? What happens when you try? Is it an erase-then-copy or Smart Update?

T'was late and I failed to answer this part of your response --

That's right, it won't boot. The screen went black and the computer had to be shut down with the on/off button. That happened several times. This was so long ago (years) that I can't give you any other details. I'd used SD possibly a half dozen times for simple clones without problems.

No response is called for, since this is ancient history and the disk in question will soon be wipe.

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Did this backup come from this Mac?