Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM

How do I change format of HD

G'day

Greetings from Australia. Sorry if this is a dumb question. My Macbook Pro was formatted in MAC extended and NOT journaled. When I have tried to partition for bootcamp it says my software needs to be updated. I have read in forums that this is because the HD is not the "jounaled" format.

I have just tried to erase and reformat using the disk utility as MAC extended Journaled then restore files from my backup drive using Super Duper. As far as I can see when it erases tne receiving HD (my computer HD) before restoring the files it re formats it back to the old MAC extended without the journaled.

I am back where I started. Is their something I am doing wrong. How can I get back everything exactly the same but be a MAC extended journaled format so I can use bootcamp please.

I really want to set this up correctly and use windows for some specific applications.

Regards
Allan
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We always use the format of the source volume when we erase a drive, which is why you ended up not journaled. But it's easy to fix! Just open Disk Utility, select the drive and click the Enable Journaling button on the toolbar...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We always use the format of the source volume when we erase a drive, which is why you ended up not journaled. But it's easy to fix! Just open Disk Utility, select the drive and click the Enable Journaling button on the toolbar...
Dave

"Thanks mate" as they say in this "kultcha" really appreciate it. In fact if you ever come to Adelaide South Australia .... I owe you a beer

Bootcamp did its thing and I installed Windows Vista with no apparent problems. Backing up with another utility doesn't seem to work though. Another dumb question maybe ... Will SuperDuper safely backup the bootcamp partition with a Windows Vista installation in it?

Had to ask. Again thanks

Allan
Old 08-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

SuperDuper doesn't back up Windows volumes. But, I think this'll help you:

http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archiv..._hard_dri.html

Glad my other suggestion worked well.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I have the problem that I am trying to clone a source volume that is a Time Machine volume on a failing disk. The drive will mount after a few minutes with a message from "Disk Repair" saying the volume could not be repaired and is being made available with limited functionality.

Part of that limited functionality is that it appears to the system as not being journaled. This causes SuperDuper to erase the target to be non-journaled, and then the copy fails because it says the Time Machine hard links require a journaled format. Disk Utility cannot enable journaling on the volume because of the problem.

I can't seem to figure out how to keep SD from formatting the target, which would seem to be an easy way around this.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Use "Smart Update" rather than "Erase, then copy".